ANTIQUE VISITOR ATTRACTION POSTERS QUESTION!

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Koprivshtitsa

ANTIQUE VISITOR ATTRACTION POSTERS QUESTION!

Postby Koprivshtitsa » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:25 pm

I have some visitors attraction posters that appear to be from the early Twentieth Century. 'Where to Winter on our Southern Shores' and 'Historic Hastings Premier Cinque Port' They carry the name of Philip Tree. Philip Tree appears to have been an architect that designed the Park Road Methodist Church in Bohemia, erected between 1891-92. He also illustrated High Garth, St Leonards-on-Sea for 'The Building News' in 1908. I am therefore speculating that these illustrations are contemporary to him, and assuming him to be a talented architect of some 35-years of age when he designed the church, he may have continued illustrating until old age so he could have made these drawings in the 1910s/1920s, if not the late 19th Century. They are very fragile and rip easily. They are not printed on good quality paper. Two of them have been repaired with Scotch Tape. So, are these original prints I wonder? Or later reprints? The artwork would have been surpassed by the stylish railway artwork of the 1930s, 40s, 50s so it seems unlikely that they were much later reprints as they would have looked dated. Does anyone know anything else about these posters or about Philip Tree? As far as I can tell, these are the first scans of these illustrations and is it possible that I may possess the only ones?
Attachments
IMG_7314.jpg
Where to Winter...
IMG_7313.jpg
Cinque Port

Return to “Historic Hastings”