Old pictures of Warrior Square

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Richard

Re: Old pictures of Warrior Square

Postby Richard » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:27 pm

Is the building, including your property, listed and if so what parts are affected?
The external fabric and/or internal structures?
Was the 1970's glass conservatory approved by planning permissions and building regulations at the time?
If a property has a listing then you may be eligible for VAT relief.
Works of repair or maintenance requiring listed building consent are zero-rated for ‘approved alterations’ (that is, those alterations which both require and obtain listed building consent) to buildings which are dwellings. Of course, relief depends on a VAT registered builder being used.

An appropriate building surveyor or 'search' should be able to clarify the position.
Any solicitor should have advised accordingly.

UncleB

Postby UncleB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Hello Richard, the building itself is not listed but is in a conservation zone so any work on the windows requires authorisation from the council planners.

We have already paid to have a meeting with them and are waiting for them to give a date.

The work we are doing that is relevant is repartitioning the flat internally - there were a bunch of cupboards and a bedroom / bathroom created in 1983 using stud walls - I have removed these once a structural engineer gave the go-ahead and will change the layout to make better use of the space.

We have the plumber in from next week and the electrician the week after to rip out everything that was there before and install new wiring / fusebox / fittings and new water/waste feeds to bathrooms and kitchen, plus a new boiler, pipework and big old cast iron effect radiators.

All the remaining original features are to be retained and restored as best we can, but the conservatory is nearly falling down so will be removed as soon as we speak to the council as it is either going to be restored to the original ballustrade/balcony or have a period-appropriate conservatory installed with their blessing.

Next for me is building stud walls for the new layout then installing 70 sheets of plasterboard in advance of the plasterer visiting in January.

I guess I know where I will be over Christmas...

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:54 pm

Hello UncleB,

Thanks for your interesting reply,
You probably realise that anyone, not necessarily the owner, can ask the relevant authority to 'list' a building that has features, externally and internally, thought to be of historic importance.
Depending on its merit such a request may be applied, at a certain level, or refused entirely.
Many of the properties in the old town seem to be listed at grade two, but such a listing may only cover the external fabric, where appropriate, and original internal walls, clearly bathrooms and kitchens have to be allowed to keep up with the times.

Certification and planning permissions are generally a minefield, although some alterations do not need planning permission, i.e. permitted developments.
Conservatories are usually exempt but some restrictions are in place and so alterations will need approval.
Windows are an issue if they are to be double-glazed, as then Fensa or Certass approval has to be given in conservation areas, and building regulations may also need to be met.
Window alteration from single to double-glazing in listed buildings is even more fraught.

I am unsure why stud walls (non-structural) would require a structural engineer's approval but you erred on the safe side and that seems sensible enough.
At least you don't have a cellar where damp always will be a problem unless you have professional treatment, after relevant approvals.

Gas central-heating boilers will be discontinued after 2025, I am considering an electric boiler for a grade II listed property I am buying in the old town.
My solicitor is reading me the riot act about buying without a building survey but as I would buy it anyway I am inclined to use a common-sense approach and just ask the council if I feel the need to alter anything. Also it would seem easier to remove an offending structure, already in place, rather than seek numerous permissions and approvals and their expense.
Happy times and an interesting experience ahead!

UncleB

Postby UncleB » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:21 pm

I just received a reply from Hastings Council Development Management Team about the conservatory:

The proposal is warmly welcomed and will see the removal of an architecturally offensive addition that has no regard for its historic context. The research already conducted informs the proposal to a excellent standard.

We still need to make the official planning permission request and give detailed notes on what we want to do, but thanks to your input here I have given enough historical images to make the whole process a lot easier to get them on board.

Thanks to all of you :)

whiffler

Postby whiffler » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm

We're glad to help - including stress-testing the porch at the opening cocktails.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:18 pm

When it has all been 'done and dusted' it may be worth applying for Listed Building status.
That way the building will be protected permanently in future?
It is clearly a building of some historic importance in the history of St. Leonards.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:48 am

A YouTube channel to document the renovation and discoveries would be a fantastic opportunity to learn more, perhaps with a narrator outlining the history and alterations.
There is some mention of a polished walnut grand staircase and a marble mosaic porch entrance, if any of those is left it would be interesting to hear.

It's a huge property looking from the outside.

UncleB

Postby UncleB » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Hello Richard, the walnut banister and mosaic tiles are still there - I was carefully carrying up dozens of sheets of plasterboard up them this morning hoping I wasn't going to do any damage...

We just have the 1st floor from the balcony and large curved bay window to the right - through to the back of the building (about 100 sq m) which will end up as a 3 bed, 2 bath apartment. We are going to try to buy the flat on the corner of the sea front as well, but one project at a time for now :)

Good point on the intro and explanation - I was thinking of creating a mix of video, photos and narration to talk about the history and how we found it, then onto why we planned the changes, how they evolved as we hid various limitations and showing the progress up until it is done.

I'll try to do one every month or so and create a more polished playlist as it goes on rather than just the updates I produce for my old mum to follow.

As the weather improves I'm also going to do a load of videos about St Leonards (and a bit about Hastings) to show the places that we like, how to get to them and some back story to them. I'll put up a post on requests for subjects in March/April when the project is mostly done and we know which businesses survived Covid & Brexit.

Does anyone know of local historians we can speak to to track down more background on the building? The council are likely to be closed for ages and I have a meeting with the planning people (virtually) later this month, but other input would be welcome.

Thanks for the input - it is appreciated.
Iain

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:48 pm

Hello Iain/UncleB,

This all sounds very exciting,
You may try to contact Hastings History House in Courthouse street, Hastings old town:

https://www.ohps.org.uk/hastings-history-house/

Dennis is the key contact, an older man, not in great health, but a mine of information
with a private database of historic data, mainly on the old town, but if anyone can find clues
he may be the one to speak with.
It would be interesting to learn how your property sits in the development of St. Leonards.
Many widows seem to have bought properties there and frequently gave money to charities.
Women greatly outnumbered men in Hastings and St. Leonards.
The health craze for sea bathing and temperate climate attracted elderly spinsters and wealthy widows who hired teams of female staff to look after them in their big terraced houses.
The suffragettes may well have resented the 'Tory club', being the commonly known name today, locally, for your residence.

UncleB

Postby UncleB » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:57 pm

Richard wrote:There is some mention of a polished walnut grand staircase and a marble mosaic porch entrance, if any of those is left it would be interesting to hear.

As requested:
https://youtu.be/IHgaUg6efgw

Return to “Historic Hastings”