Site user-friendliness suggestions!

Latest site updates posted here. All suggestions welcome!
Olly

Site user-friendliness suggestions!

Postby Olly » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 am

1) Implement a user account management page for such alterations as ahem, changing a password. :erm: :blush:
2) Add 'Delete post' to the existing options of Reply and Edit.
3) Er, that's it! If I think of anything else I'll get back to you. lol

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Site user-friendliness suggestions!

Postby Geoff » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks Olly

The forum section of the site is running on a script (server-side code) that hasn't been supported by it's writer in some 5+ years. I have managed to modify it way beyond it's original state but there's no more I can do to improve things.

The good news is I am investing in getting everything moved over to a new script which is much more modern and user friendly. As the current user accounts, threads, posts and attachments are not compatible with any other script that is available it is proving a long and painful job getting them all converted to files the new script can use.

No doubt there will be glitches when I switch forums. For example, the current forum passwords are so well encrypted there is no way to extract them, even with the bear data to hand. So I will need to generate new random passwords for every user and email them requesting they reset their logins.

I think that in the long term, the upgrade will be worthwhile for everyone so hopefully worth my efforts).

Back to your 3 suggestions_ _ _

1. There already is an account management page where you can reset your password. I emailed you the details on how to find it so hopefully you're sorted on that now.

2. Only Admin can delete a post. This is done so that long threads make sense. There's no point having a bunch of replies to a question that has been deleted.

3. Open to suggestions, hopefully the new system will cover most of the wishlist we currently have.

Hastings web design, hosting and search engine optimisation - 1066 Internet

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:57 am

I Look forward to the upgrade - and a word of appreciation for all the work you put into this site - it's not easy - I know!

Olly

Postby Olly » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:30 am

[quoted]
Administrator wrote:
Thanks Olly

The forum section of the site is running on a script (server-side code) that hasn't been supported by it's writer in some 5+ years. I have managed to modify it way beyond it's original state but there's no more I can do to improve things.

The good news is I am investing in getting everything moved over to a new script which is much more modern and user friendly. As the current user accounts, threads, posts and attachments are not compatible with any other script that is available it is proving a long and painful job getting them all converted to files the new script can use.

No doubt there will be glitches when I switch forums. For example, the current forum passwords are so well encrypted there is no way to extract them, even with the bear data to hand. So I will need to generate new random passwords for every user and email them requesting they reset their logins.

I think that in the long term, the upgrade will be worthwhile for everyone so hopefully worth my efforts).

Back to your 3 suggestions_ _ _

1. There already is an account management page where you can reset your password. I emailed you the details on how to find it so hopefully you're sorted on that now.

2. Only Admin can delete a post. This is done so that long threads make sense. There's no point having a bunch of replies to a question that has been deleted.

3. Open to suggestions, hopefully the new system will cover most of the wishlist we currently have.
[/quoted]

WOW! Respec' Geoff, you sure know your stuff: the limit of my IT knowledge when anything stops working is to unplug it, leave it for a minute, plug it back in and hope for the best! :blush:

I obviously misled you by saying I couldn't delete posts; on my other board when a post is edited, the change is acknowledged and the altered version appears where it previously was on the thread - but yesterday the updated/definitive post appeared alright, but the previous versions stayed put ahead of it and I couldn't delete them (I didn't know then that only you could do that). Anyhoo I'm a new boy, so I'll crack the procedures after a bit of hit-and-miss I daresay. Good luck with the upgrade because this is a good board. I might ruffle a few feathers in the fullness of time when discussing the 'stuff of moment', but I'll never get personal with anyone - unless they get personal with me, then I'll give 'em both barrels!! >:( ;) (only kidding!)

Oh, and what Derek said!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:19 pm

yep and Admin (Geoff) doesn't try to enforce control over every topic, unlike some I have known.
He's laid back and relaxed and just lets us get on with it.

Apart from the lack of a meet-up (at a designated local pub) of regular posters, everything seems really good.

:)

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

roy

Postby roy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:18 pm

[quoted]
Richard wrote:
yep and Admin (Geoff) doesn't try to enforce control over every topic, unlike some I have known.
He's laid back and relaxed and just lets us get on with it.

Apart from the lack of a meet-up (at a designated local pub) of regular posters, everything seems really good.

[/quoted]

lol I remember last time we was going to have a meet up,I am still open to that if we can get enough interested.

Enjoy life.you never know when it will end.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:07 pm

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.

that attempt last time was rather unfortunate but surely not the end of the world_ _ _

choose a venue or a pub - any pub !!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “Website Updates and Suggestions”