shop and contractors review stars

Latest site updates posted here. All suggestions welcome!
gingham

shop and contractors review stars

Postby gingham » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Greetings folks
An idea which might be too complicated - I like the comments concerning local shops and services. I wondered if there was a way a directory of reviews might be started.or the post organised in subject matter rather than time of posting ? ......

e.g. The poster might need to request category be added

Bakers
mrs blogs' pies - open 6- 9 pm, hot and scrumptious ****
Bob's buns - bought a cob loaf on saturday and it was a bit stale but the custard tart good ***

Carpenters
miss Joiner - good carpentry skills and economical ****

Petrol Stations
John's Juice - bad attitude when paying my bill and will only give one star *

I was thinking it might develop in to a comprehensive Hastings and St Leonard's review directory where local businesses would strive to get good reviews and be included in the oracle of 1066, Of course a business must not post it's own review...... Apologies if this entirely unworkable and daft idea.

Hope everyone has good moments this weekend.

Richard

Re: shop and contractors review stars

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:16 pm

you'd have to decide on things to include, like categories, location, rating, and so on and have a way for people then to be able to add comments into each category.
Sounds clever in principle but not sure how easy it is to perform on a forum.

It might encourage feedback if it were possible but I suspect the old-fashioned way of doing it manually would still be necessary.

While we are here I would give 'Love Cafe' in St Leo's a rating of 5/5 for attention to customers and pleasant manner, 5/5 for ambience in an unusual setting, 5/5 for food prepared freshly, but 3/5 for value for money, as portion size left me feeling hungry and I don't like to fill up on cakes.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:43 am

I think this is an interesting idea, have often felt a bit irritated by sloppy service in places and thought that someone should start a "good pub" or "good restaurant" guide for Hastings/St Leonards! It would surely help tourists and everyone else too?

However, I know nothing at all about the logistics of organising something online and suspect it would be quite a job in itself and maybe require a separate website! I have often located sites like the "best mobile networks" or "best photographic shops, found them very useul before spending money and people's varying comments very fascinating.

Something simpler and easier might be best, like a new section for reviews of cafes, shops etc. under different headings and just let people post comments in date order? There is surely also the problem nowadays of those few who post unfair or malicious comments and there would have to be the ability for places to reply to comments and defend themselves?

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:17 pm

A further thought occurs to me - a "star rating" system might be rather ambitious for a small local area and a bit "punitive"? (Sorry, can't think of a better word at the moment). I mean that, to be fair to small businesses, they are generally having a hard time to survive, often working harder than the rest of us to achieve that. Inevitably there will be some mistakes and "off" days and it's easy to criticise others. I feel differently about big companies and retail chains, they should be big and experienced enough to take a few knocks! Especially if they seem to us to be making too much profit and operating too many rip-offs!

That's why I thought maybe a simple "comment" section would be less harsh. E.g. I'll add to Richard's remarks on the Love Cafe - I agree with all of that, the place is one of my favourites. But the quantities are more suited to a lunch than a full dinner for a hungry person!

The Kassa cafe on the seafront is also excellent in all ways, I has a delicious chicken stew ans rice there recently, kept me going till evening.

Now, how about pubs? I can't find a really nice one in St Leonards except for "an old one" - better leave it at that namewise. It's actually a cosy place but the landlord's a bit odd, always tries to pick a quarrel with me! A friend once said to me "He bans people for no reason .." So I'm afraid that, despite liking cosy pubs to hang out in, I generally go to the Old Town instead.

Return to “Website Updates and Suggestions”