Suggestion

Latest site updates posted here. All suggestions welcome!
Richard

Suggestion

Postby Richard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:05 pm

There was a suggestion under 'Castle Terrace' from 'Whiffer' about the following:

"To admin, is there somewhere where useful resources can be advertised for wider use? I've shared two, and have a third."

Has this perhaps been overlooked somehow?
He seems very keen.

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion

Postby Geoff » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:29 am

I hadn't spotted this suggestion. What do you think? I am of the opinion that resources should be posted along with the relevant threads, but open to ideas. What sort of resources are we talking about?

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:50 am

A resources page could be very simple, at least to begin with - just assorted headings added as the resources are suggested, with links below each heading. Thus, you might have:

History (General)
link 1 ....
link 2....

History (Local)
link 1....
link 2....
link 3....

Genealogy
link 1....

And so on and so forth. The problem with links embedded within individual posts is that you have to find the relevant post before being able to find the resource.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:30 am

Okay, so more like a useful links page? Do you think this could be done within the forum or would it need me to manually set up the page(s) and links?

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:52 am

Perhaps if it were set up within the forum it would save you a bit of work, Geoff, and members could add resource links as and when. Of course, you would need to keep an eye on progress to avoid shall we say, "links to strange sites". On the other hand, if there was a form to fill-in, it could require the member's name, which might deter strange site posters.

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Local Resources

Postby Geoff » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:07 am

How about a new page added to the existing Community Contacts section? These already require a form is filled in and approval before I add them.
ie a new page here.. http://www.1066online.com/community/

It could be titled something like "Local Web Resources" and contain listings in a similar format. Title - description - link

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:30 pm

I think that would be ideal, and would require the minimum of setting-up. Could prove to be very valuable - everyone probably uses, or knows of, a variety of speciality sites that are perhaps not well known, but nonetheless of great interest to those with similar interests..

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:35 pm

sounds like it could make a useful addition to the website - well thought out by Geoff and Derek.
:D :) :D :)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 am

Okay, lets start collecting these resources together. Please list below, with official name, description and link. Hastings related only please, and no businesses as such that would be better suited to the directory.

Return to “Website Updates and Suggestions”