Mobile Optimised

Latest site updates posted here. All suggestions welcome!
Geoff
Site Admin

Mobile Optimised

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:04 pm

About 25% of you are now viewing the website using mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets.

I would like to gauge opinions on whether you think it's worth re-designing the forum to give a better user experience on smaller screens. Or are you happy with the way it is (plenty of zooming and scrolling to read things on mobile devices)?

It would be a lot of work to make the design responsive (good looking on all screen sizes) but I can see the advantages, and the percentage of mobile users will only increase as time goes on.

For examples of responsive web design, have a look at my new Hastings Job Search on both a desktop computer and a phone, you will see how the layout fits both perfectly and there's no need to zoom-in on mobile.

moonjiver

Re: Mobile Optimised

Postby moonjiver » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:03 am

I myself have no complaints, the website works very well on my HTC Desire 610 (same size as the Samsung Galaxy phones) and the display is very clear and attractive. Zooming in is easy and no problem.

More and more people are gravitating towards medium/large screen phones, so maybe the difficulty of catering for differing screen sizes may be reducing?! (Hopefully I'm not revealing my naivety about the technicalities here).

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:17 pm

That's encouraging to hear moonjiver, thanks for the feedback.

I am planning to gradually re-do parts of the website in a responsive design, with the plan to join them all up when they all match. Over Christmas I have been working on the directory (as this is the most popular section), so we now have another version designed specially for phones and tablets which I have put here - eHastings Directory

The graphics aren't finished (not keeping a clipart seagull) but you will get the idea.

All other opinions from mobile users will be greatly received.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:56 pm

I use the site on the Galaxy Tab 3 a lot and it is fine. Do not use it on mobile much but it is ok

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks Gerry, glad you are okay with things the way they are when using your tablet to view the site.
Judging by opinions so far I will put the conversion to a responsive design on the back burner. I just don't think it's worth the effort (yet) on such a massive site.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:13 pm

There is just one problem that I have (not that it is important) and that is for some reason I do not get the category of 'non-Hastings chat' on the main page that I have when I click on the desk top or Tab

Those posts do show up in the moving box showing the latest posts on the top right and I can access it that way.

I have twelve categories I can see.

amelia23

Postby amelia23 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:12 pm

Hi, I am facing an issue with my website. My website is an eCommerce website and I am unable to optimize that core web vitals issue.

I am having around 5 thousand products and it's getting more so can anyone please suggest to me something that I can work on that.

TIA.

Return to “Website Updates and Suggestions”