How to - Add image(s) to your posts

Latest site updates posted here. All suggestions welcome!
Geoff
Site Admin

How to - Add image(s) to your posts

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Whilst writing/editing a post you can insert one or more images by following these instructions.

1. Click the "Attachments" tab located under your post.

2. Click the "Add files" button and use the window to choose the image file you want to attach from your local computer/memory card etc.

4. You now have the chance to add a file comment (caption) which will appear with your photo. This is not essential.

5. To insert the uploaded image into your post, put your cursor at the point where you want the image to appear and click "Place inline" button. Some code will appear in your post in square brackets which references the attachment.

Submit your post, job done!

Richard

Re: How to - Add image(s) to your posts

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 pm

I find it easier just to make a relevant folder on my desktop and browse to images from there.
I did not know about adding a file caption and the 'place inline' bit confuses me - what does it mean? The images automatically sort in the order of the last uploaded appearing at the top of the posting?
There is a maximun of three images allowed per session.
Also perhaps everyone does not realize that the images grow to full size only when you click on them.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:14 pm

Great to get feedback, thank you.

Place in-line means exactly that, the image will be placed wherever your cursor is in the post when you click this button. ie. it is being placed in-line amongst your post text.

I can change the 3 image limit if you guys would prefer to be able to add more photos per post. Just bear in mind that the more you add the longer the delay while uploading them. I think 3 is probably the default as a compromise between speed and quantity.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Thanks very much Geoff. Didn't quite get the hang of adding several images at one time but I'll read your stuff again!

M/j

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:37 pm

I suppose 3 images is reasonable but what about the size uploaded, all things being equal clearly a bigger file size will be uploaded more slowly, but somehow the website works out what size to display (as a large thumbnail) and when it is clicked on the larger image size has a limit.

If we upload a very small 10k image then, presumably the larger image will appear more grainy?
So the question is then, what is the optimal file size to upload to present the most detailed image?

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:02 pm

The forum automatically creates a thumbnail and link to the original image. If the original is larger than your screen it will be scaled down to fit your screen. I would say 1200 pixels wide is big enough but it really doesn't matter if they are larger.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:27 pm

I found some difficulty adding more than one image to my post - from a smartphone. May have just been me, no worry, I just had to add further posts!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:55 pm

I feel your pain trying to use the forum from a mobile. It's really not geared up for it. The good news is I am planning a major upgrade of the forum in 2016 to make it all a lot friendlier from smaller devices.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:10 pm

I do most of it from a computer but the smartphone (quite an advanced Samsung) also copes surprisingly well and the site displays very nicely on the small screen.

I have just won a long and terrific battle with BT and PO Phones who slapped me with a £140 charge - for work at THEIR exchange. Full speed now towards a PC in the new year and broadband .. with a diferent provider.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:38 pm

I can't believe how long that's been going on. But at last you've got somewhere so it was worth the battle. If you want any advice pre PC shopping then you know where to post your questions ;)

Return to “Website Updates and Suggestions”