Devonshire Road???

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Richard_H

Devonshire Road???

Postby Richard_H » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm moving to Hastings and I've seen some very cheap flats for sale on Devonshire Road. But when I was there the other day it seemed very seedy. My question - is it getting better or worse??

Marina

Re: Devonshire Road???

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:15 pm

What do you mean by seedy? It definately got cheeper to live there since Priory Meadow was built. The view is a bit rubbish out the back compared to the cricket ground and castle that the flats used to look out on. But I guess the new college and other redevelopment in the area can only be a positive thing for Devonshire Road.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks Marina.

By 'seedy' I meant that several houses had groups of people outside drinking special brew at 10 am!!

Marina

Postby Marina » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Oh I see. Are you sure it was special brew and not an energy drink? They come in oversized cans too now. It is illeagal to street drink in the town so I would be suprised, especially at that time of day.

roy

Postby roy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 pm

I have seen many people boozing on the streets in the morning,try going round Bohemia road or warrior square and you will see them with their special brew.still live and let live I say.

Enjoy life.you never know when it will end.

bandy

Postby bandy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:00 pm

I live not far from Devonshire Road, it is bed-sit land. I personally wouldnt walk down that road at night. Horrible place!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 pm

There is a notable contrast between the very large houses on one side of the road, which seem to be rather run-down, former lodging/boarding houses, as opposed to the low profile, former "workman's-cottage terrace", on the other side which seem to be rather more cared for and 'homely' in parts??

However, I have to report a 'vodka' bottle being casually tossed onto the pavement from the terrace steps by a group of idle youths (2 lads and a girl) who seemed devoid of the remotest vestige of common sense !!
8|

phil_sellens

Postby phil_sellens » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Warrior Square has very few street drinkers these days. The whole area has improved and, even in Bottle Alley, very few are to be seen.

luna_saphire

Devonshire Road???

Postby luna_saphire » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:48 pm

_ _ _.yep it is a bit skanky this street, and my impression is that it is a neglected bedsit land. But, that is not to say that it will not improve. You can imagine how it once was, before some of the houses received their horrid paint jobs and rubbish landlords bought up the properties. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of new residents with a bit of savvy to get things moing for the better.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:18 am

Whatever anyone thinks about its current 'ambience' this is a prime location for renting into the future with amenities close by to the centre of Town
Devonshire Road has 121 homes along it, there have been 4 property sales in the last 3 years, with the average sold house price being GBP98,125
The average house price for TN34 is GBP175,384.
Temptingly cheap for landlord's investment as Rent is increasing now while house prices are dropping or stagnating, the following is interesting :-

http://www.andrewsonline.co.uk/sale/details/31876

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”