Devonshire Road???

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
calamity_jane

Re: Devonshire Road???

Postby calamity_jane » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:23 pm

I have lived in Devonshire Road for ten years, I have a beautiful flat and I go to university around the corner to study my fine art degree.
When I can I take bookings from clients for massage who are always happy to walk through the street and once they arrive feel very at ease and settled even if it can be a bit funny outside at times.
They are really trying hard to clean up the street and I have been in contact with the police and the MP about what has been happening over the past two years.
It's not the classiest of street, but it is convenient for the amenities and as I said it is improving. A house was closed down last week which has quietened things dramatically and several places have shut across the road. More students who are looking to study at the Brighton uni campuses need to move in so it can gain an educated Bohemian feel. But if i'm a girl that has lived alone for ten years can handle it and consider myself pretty feminine, then I think it's bearable. It depends if you want Mayfair life or can handle Peckham on sea. ;)

Cat31

Postby Cat31 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

I lived in Devonshire Road for 6 years before moving out 12 months ago, believe me you do not want to live here, it's strewn with flytipped debris, is frequently plagued by arson attacks, now sports several boarded up buildings after substandard bedsits were closed down. The building of the college and Station Plaza has not improved matters as residents hoped, instead, loitering students make a nuisance of them selves dropping litter everywhere, and street drinkers now congregate outside the new Sainsbury's shouting at passers by while the management does nothing to stop them. The buildings are little more than slums and many are crumbling in a desperate state of repair due to absentee, impoverished and irresponsible freeholders. At night drinkers from the town centre use this road and carpark access road behind to make their way home, screaming can often be heard and fights break out with alarming frequency. It's a very common sight to find police conducting drug raids and the only time the street seems to be quiet is when a police CCTV van is parked here for days or weeks at a time. The population here is transient and few have any stake in or concern for their community; of the respectable residents still remaining here, most wish to leave and many have already done so, the only thing that can be said for the area is convenience for the town centre and the low prices.

logicus

Postby logicus » Sat May 18, 2013 3:42 pm

[quoted]
. The building of the college and Station Plaza has not improved matters as residents hoped, instead, loitering students make a nuisance of them selves dropping litter everywhere,, most wish to leave and many have already done so, the only thing that can be said for the area is convenience for the town centre and the low prices.
[/quoted]
A year on not much has changed, be interesting to see how the bedroom tax affects the street, feel there is a halfway house for "whom ever" there as well plus the developers with the student house renovation_ _ _ one plus about the ground floor flats nice rear gardens.

Herring_Gull

Postby Herring_Gull » Sun May 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Has anyone mentioned the queue of delivery lorries, vans and trucks all trying to get into the Sainsburys at 5AM yes five in the morning almost everyday?

Or if you live on the side of the college the skateboarders around the back and their noise all day / evening?

I wouldn't buy a flat and live there but if I was a capitalist landlord scum then this area has to be considered prime rental territory.

Verdict, apologies to those who live there, nah stay away.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Mon May 20, 2013 2:01 pm

The "bedroom tax" only affects tenants in Council and other public and other social housing so unless it is thought that tenants will have to move to these properties, it is unlikely to have an effect. As a pensioner I have no concern walking through Devonshire Rd at night.

traceyleigh

Postby traceyleigh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Just a polite question for Herring Gull - I was just wondering _ _ __ _ _. if 5am isn't a good time - what time would be better?

Herring_Gull

Postby Herring_Gull » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:41 pm

tracey dah-ling. Good question.

During the day when everyone is awake say between 1400 and 1600 when the noise can be absorbed into the background din of everyday life. At 0500 the sound of a lorry / van reversing unloading etc is predominantely the ONLY sound one can hear and therefore (in my opinion) constitutes a nuisance.

Of course what I say flies in the face of current Schemes:

http://noiseabatementsociety.com/campai ... on-scheme/

But I bet the people who thought that one up don't live near a supermarket - essentially for those who do not want to look it says late night / early morning deliveries are best.

traceyleigh

Postby traceyleigh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:47 pm

but surely the chaos caused by the lorries trying to manouver through the afternoon traffic would be more of a problem

i wonder if the light-sleepers that are affected by the noise of the lorries actually use sainsburys and appreciate the fully-stocked shelves

and i may draw to your attention that my question was polite and contained no sarcasm so why the need for the dah-ling _ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ _ (that was a retorical question - please don't worry yourself about how to word your answer)

Herring_Gull

Postby Herring_Gull » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:06 pm

tracy me duck. Sorry no sarcasm or anything intended. It was just term of endearment - lost in the bytes of binary so please accept my apology, sorry.

My comment regarding the lorries is simply that there is already enough noise pollution in that area during the day, why extend that period to include the very early morning. The noise of the afternoon deliveries would be absorbed with the existing background noise. However, as you and the Noise Abatement point out there are too many problems with deliveries in the afternoon.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”