Moving from London

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
ladyfelsham

Re: Moving from London

Postby ladyfelsham » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Scoota, sorry for delay in responding - my landlord decided to buy the flat I'm renting in SE London so we agreed he would sell to me. Then the bank's surveyor found Japanese knotweed in the garden and to cut a long story short, they said they would lend on it - then changed their minds! So that's Flat #6 that I've attempted to buy down the drain_ _ _

So am coming down to the coast tomorrow to look at another property - wish me luck!

How are you getting on with your possible decision to move?

ladyfelsham

Postby ladyfelsham » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Good news - the flat I saw today is fab, so an offer was put in and has been accepted!

Woohoo - St Leonards here I come! :w00t:

Scootagal

Postby Scootagal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:48 am

Oooh! Congrats! Where abouts in SL is it? Very exciting :) What about the commuting side of things? I'm not sure where we're at now as hubby gave up his job and is self employed now and not sure that goes down to well with the mortgage co's! Still crosses my mind pretty much every day though! Keep me updated!! :)

HollyBlue

Postby HollyBlue » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 am

[quoted]
ladyfelsham wrote:
Good news - the flat I saw today is fab, so an offer was put in and has been accepted!

Woohoo - St Leonards here I come! :w00t:
[/quoted]

Hi Ladyfelsham

I moved to West St Leonards from Hertfordshire just before Christmas and I commute to London daily. The journey is long but I don't mind as I can use the time productively.
I'm so happy to have moved here - we are gradually restoring a beautiful old Edwardian house and we are literally only a minute's walk from the sea. Our neighbours are very pleasant and friendly too. All we need now is for the weather to improve :)

Best of luck with your move.

ladyfelsham

Postby ladyfelsham » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks so much Scoota and Holly

If all goes well, in a couple of months the cat and I will be calling a big garden flat in Magdalen Road home! And Holly, I agree re the commute, I can work all the way there and read lots of books on the way back - the time will flash by :)

I can't wait, been planning this for nearly three years! Am really over living in London, people can be so unfriendly - d'you know, a woman scowled at me for saying thank you to the bus driver the other day?! :erm:

Pugliese

Postby Pugliese » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:55 am

Well done Lady F and you have chosen a great time of year to move. I went to the church in Magdalen Road last year and found the community spirit there fantastic. Fingers crossed it all works out for you and as I and many others have said before, use the commute productively and the travel time will fly by. Also don't forget there are employment opportunities in Hastings and StL. One final thought, once the purchase has gone through and if you need any work doing on your property and want any recommendations, just ask. We are just finishing building our own house in Hastings and have found some great local tradesman as well as having a wealth of knowledge on 'eco' building.

ladyfelsham

Postby ladyfelsham » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Oh thanks so much Pugliese, I do have a builder already but any advice is always appreciated. Well done on your build - hope it is everything you dreamed of!

I could also do with recommendations for a reliable cleaner for inside and a gardener for the outside - two of the things I can now afford thanks to my much lower mortgage :)

Now roll on summer! :)

Scootagal

Postby Scootagal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Ooh stop! You're all making me jealous :)

Hollyblue - do you commute on the train? What time do you get to work and where in London do you work (if you don't mind me asking!)?

I need to stop looking at property websites every 5 minutes_ _ _!

I met a woman at a work event the other night and we chatted for about 40 minutes just about Hastings_ _ _!! I'm an addict!

Maybe one day_ _ _ :whistle:

Orange

Postby Orange » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:19 am

Hi all, just came across this thread this morning after having a conversation with my partner last night about potentially moving to Hastings. I hope you don't mind me jumping in and ask your opinions..

We are currently living in Lewisham, he is a freelance graphic designer and I am on maternity leave looking after our 3 month old daughter :)

My work situation got uncertain just before I left and since then we have been thinking of moving out of London.

Main reason being that we can afford a much more spacious house on the coast by selling our 2 bed garden flat here. The property value where we live is going up but we'll have to move to a bigger place eventually as our daughter and chocolate Labrador grow ;)

Another main attraction is living by the sea, as I am originally from the south of Italy and really miss the feeling of long walks on the beach breathing good fresh air.

And, let's be honest, London and its outskirts are not the friendliest of places. We really are after a sense of community, where people talk to you and make proper eye contact!

I guess that what I really would like to find out is how kids friendly Hastings is, what is the nursery/school situation like (is it like London where you have to book a nursery place months before your baby is born???), are there any specific areas to avoid/look for?

Obviously, work wise, I need to understand what opportunities are there for me, but by just having a much lower mortgage, I can take some time to think about it..

Thanks all in advance!

Pugliese

Postby Pugliese » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:32 am

Hi Orange

You might be interested in this article I came across the other day as it highlights a couple coming from London. Sure a bit glossy but it does highlight some of your wants. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/art ... -wave.html

We made the move south 20 years ago when our kids were aged 5 and 2. and I can honestly say it was one of our best decisions ever.

Mind you don't get it confused with Southern Italy ( we have a house there) as it is a different lifestyle and of course the weather but I guess there must be some crossover as we love them both.

As for area, it doesn't matter where you buy in the world, it all comes down to location and buying in the best area you can afford. This may mean a lesser house but it is a compromise you should make. Also be aware that there are some fantastic Victorian houses here but they come with the hidden heating costs so must be factored into any decision of what you can afford.

As for nursery etc I am out of touch with this side as kids now grown up so will let others answer

If you are serious about moving down, you need to visit and get someone to show you around (Happy to spend a couple of hours with you) and then if you decide it is worth doing and can sell your property, then rent in Hastings. A sort of try before you buy. We did it and it really helps you identify the best area for you.

Hope the above helps and good luck

Ciao

R

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”