Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
JeremyOr

Moving to Hastings with our dog

Postby JeremyOr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:08 am

we are moving in October from Singapore and just thinking whether it is worth shipping our bicycles over? Is it safe to cycle there? Are there any restrictions on cycling on the roads?

Best,
Ann

Richard

Re: Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Hello JeremyOr,

We are trying to establish "Greenways" as dedicated cycling (and walking) routes in Hastings.
There is currently poor provision, except along the seafront (which may suit you) and generally motor car drivers are a little unpredictable, with many cyclists hopping on and off the pavemented areas as a consequence.

White Rock Baths will re-open this year as a BMX centre

Greenways news:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3452#.VRxX344hNr8

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:08 pm

I didn't have time to answer this before but I think I can add some useful experience.

Hastings is of course no different from most other towns, a lot of traffic and therefore many cyclists poodle around on pavements and the pedestrianised areas in the centre. There seems to be more tolerance of this from the authorities, although I myself get extremely irritated by the few idiots racing around and wish some speed restriction was imposed - that would render it harmless enough.

The only real cycle lane, and a great one, is along the seafront prom. You can basically ride from the Old Town for miles westwards all the way to Bexhill and, on a fine day, that makes for a pretty wonderful ride. Otherwise, Hastings is surrounded by hills so you need to be brave or to have a very good set of gears. But once away from the town, there is splendid cycling country - over the wide flat Pevensey marshes or eastwards over the marshes at Winchelsea/Rye Harbour/Romney Marsh (the latter beautiful countryside and you can always jump on a train to come home again if you've overdone the cycling).

It may not be worth the trouble of shipping bicycles over to the UK. There is a very good bike shop in the centre of town (new and s/h) and a better one on the seafront at St Leonards. Also a couple of posh shops selling expensive but top-of-the range bicycles for the real enthusiasts.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 am

Not forgetting 'Halfords' at 44-45 Queen's Road, Hastings.

OllyMkII

Postby OllyMkII » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:27 pm

roy wrote:We have enough dogs in our town without anymore coming here,no end of attacks and trouble with them and their irresponsible owners.
Its time the council took this issue more seriously and fine the owners who dont care about their environment.

Hear-hear! Well said.

Mick.

Re: Moving to Hastings with our dog

Postby Mick. » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:56 am

JeremyOr wrote:we are moving in October from Singapore and just thinking whether it is worth shipping our bicycles over? Is it safe to cycle there? Are there any restrictions on cycling on the roads?

Best,
Ann

Where in Singapore did you live? Are you in Hastings now?

rc24

Postby rc24 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:39 am

Hi,

Hastings, especially the West Hill - East Hill circuit including the old town bars are on the majority extremely welcoming to dog owners. I only know of two restaurants which allows dogs and that's the Land of Green Ginger and Half Man Half Burger in St Leonards on Sea.

If you want a longer walk park up on the West Hill and walk through the old town, up the East Hill and make your way over to the Firehills. Especially good if you want to let your dog off the lead and they've got good recall. You'll find this helps more on the West Hill as there are more people and dogs on leads.

If you are in to jogging with your dog then the seafront stretching from the Arcade Area in Hastings Old Town - Bexhill has a fantastic shared cycle / pedestrian path. I just keep the dog on a short leash and it's great fun.

Cycling - You'll probably have to go further out for. If you are into your single track mountain biking the head to Bedgebury Pinetum and aim for early morning / out of season runs. Alternativly Bewl Water.

Beach Walks - It's all clearly signposted where you can have dogs on or off leads.

Alexandra Park - I live close to it but have never taken my dog for a walk there. Give it a go but I'm forever hearing of bad experiences.

p.s Free dog bags from the Hastings Tourism office should you lose some out on a walk or leave them in a pub..

p.p.s Get used to picking up other peoples dog mess on the lanes through the West Hill / East Hill. I've only ever clocked someone trying to get away with it and politely offering them bags as they were walking off seemed to help with the situation.

Westfieldmike2016

Postby Westfieldmike2016 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Keep out of the woods for now, there has been a case of Alabama Rot in Battle woods, and two other woods near Worthing way.
The Firehills is brilliant for off the lead, our whippet loves it.

Ali0141

Postby Ali0141 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:43 am

I am moving to Hastings. Looking forward to it. It's such a dog friendly town. My wee labradoodle, Freda, will love it :D

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”