Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Richard

Re: Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Postby Richard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 pm

I have thought about a dog but the expense and commitment is too high for me - I believe you can get a dog support allowance if you are on benefits though.
If you go out to work do you just leave it chained up outside to bark and annoy the neighbours?

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:36 am

You used to get help to feed your dog on benefits but I believe that stopped quite a few years ago.

I think it's a good idea as many people can't afford to feed their pets when unemployed and then the animals end up in shelters, which are all full to over flowing, or put down.

Even PDSA and Blue cross are putting restrictions on the amount of pedigree pets they treat.

Olly

Postby Olly » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 am

Dog lovers are of a certain mentality, I've always found.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:06 pm

presumably because pedigree dogs have more bodily genetic defects or weaknesses than cross-breeds ?

Pure breeds are not necessarily good despite the attempts of notorious attempts to wipe out breeds that were seen to be genetically inferior

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 pm

I think it's because they think if someone can afford hundred of pounds to buy a pedigree then they should be able to afford vets fees. Also as you say pedigrees tend to have more health issues. It makes sense but could be difficult if you lose your job and have 3 pedigree pets.

Olly

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 am

[quoted]
Mymblesdaughter wrote:
I think it's because they think if someone can afford hundred of pounds to buy a pedigree then they should be able to afford vets fees. Also as you say [color:blue]pedigrees tend to have more health issues.[/color] It makes sense but could be difficult if you lose your job and have 3 pedigree pets.
[/quoted]

Including spontaneous defecation apparently! Mind you, that applies to cross-breeds as well. Oh dear, I think I'm about to see my breakfast again!!

WestfieldMike

Postby WestfieldMike » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:28 pm

[quoted]
Didge wrote:
Hello all,

We will be moving to Hastings in early 2014 and we're very interested to know where are the best places to walk our dog. We know Alexandra Park, but we're looking for open spaces, where he can run off the lead.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. We're also interested in recommendations for pubs in the area (and if they're dog friendly, even better).

Thanks in advance.
[/quoted]

It's not advisable to let your dog run off the lead, it must be under control at all times in a public place. Parks and beaches are public places, and it is an offence. I like dogs, most of my friends have one, I don't. but they are very responsible, and their pets are always on a lead, for the dogs safety.

Olly

Postby Olly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:31 am

[quoted]
WestfieldMike wrote:
[quoted]
Didge wrote:
Hello all,

We will be moving to Hastings in early 2014 and we're very interested to know where are the best places to walk our dog. We know Alexandra Park, but we're looking for open spaces, where he can run off the lead.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. We're also interested in recommendations for pubs in the area (and if they're dog friendly, even better).

Thanks in advance.
[/quoted]

It's not advisable to let your dog run off the lead, it must be under control at all times in a public place. Parks and beaches are public places, and it is an offence. I like dogs, most of my friends have one, I don't. but they are very responsible, and their pets are always on a lead, for the dogs safety.
[/quoted]

I don't understand this strange mentality of dog owners where they believe dogs need to run off-lead; dogs don't need to run to maintain good health any more than we do. But then there are a lot of things I don't understand about dog owners!!

Wiper2001

Postby Wiper2001 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:36 am

Being a dog owner makes the person no different to anyone who is not a dog owner. They are just someone who has a dog. The only issue I see here where all dog owners are seperated from non dog owners is where some dog owners have no respect for anyone else.

But all dog owners should keep their dog on the lead and clean up after them. The dog is not going to clean up their mess. But some people, dog owners or non dog owners have a problem cleaning up after themselves.

I have never been able to understand why people like to get drunk and smash glass bottles everywhere. Chuck rubbish and spit everywhere. Some of them also wee everywhere and I have also witnessed people performing number 2s in the street in broad daylight and they don't clean it up after them. But then again, I have never been able to understand people. Especially the ones that sit back and let the squallor occur and not contribute anything positive to society to help improve areas.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri May 02, 2014 5:51 pm

I can agree with that - some people are unbelievable and have no regard for their environment at all.
As usual it is the few ignorant ones who spoil it for the rest of us.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”