Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Didge

Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Postby Didge » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Hello all,

We will be moving to Hastings in early 2014 and we're very interested to know where are the best places to walk our dog. We know Alexandra Park, but we're looking for open spaces, where he can run off the lead.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. We're also interested in recommendations for pubs in the area (and if they're dog friendly, even better).

Thanks in advance.

Herring_Gull

Re: Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Postby Herring_Gull » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Certain parts of t'beach suffers from an exclusion zone but it is well signposted.

As for pubs I think the Awled Tarn is a safer bet, Hastings Arrrrghms and the Swan.

jules

Postby jules » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm

We have two critters :) The country park is ace, if your dogs are lively keep them on the lead near the cliff path bit. You can get on from the East Hill or Barley Lane, or drive along to Fairlight and park up. My personal favourite is Winchelsea Beach, you can use a lot of it year round (it is well signposted) and park right up against it near to the caf.

A lot of the pubs are dog friendly, we go in the FILO (first in last out) in the High Street, we like the pub at Three Oaks and also the Sawyers at Pett Village.

Enjoy!

The seas be ours and by the powers
Where we will_ _ _we'll roam

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 am

Most pubs in the Old Town are dog friendly, just ask before you go in, you will soon get to know whats what.

Didge

Postby Didge » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks everyone for your helpful and speedy responses. I am only just starting to find my way round - my old man is much better acquainted with Hastings, but I will be a total newbie blow-in! Really looking forward to the move and getting to know the place and people. I am sure our pooch will love it too.

edd

Postby edd » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi, welcome to Hastings. You'll find lots of stunning places to walk with your dog. I've noted down a few good spots on this google map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... Sd7jECqJO4

I'm planning to add extra information to each point with coordinates for parking, etc.

If you don't mind a short drive. Guestling wood is well worth a visit. There are ponds and large open fields you can walk around. My dog always comes back happy and exhausted!

roy

Postby roy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 pm

[quoted]
Herring_Gull wrote:
Certain parts of t'beach suffers from an exclusion zone but it is well signposted.

As for pubs I think the Awled Tarn is a safer bet, Hastings Arrrrghms and the Swan.

[/quoted]

Dogs should be kept off the beach all year round,much better for the kids that way and far safer for the rest of us.

Enjoy life.you never know when it will end.

Didge

Postby Didge » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks for the link Edd, we're looking forward to exploring all these fantastic places and our pooch loves an adventure, so everyone's a winner.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:23 pm

I normally like all types of dogs_ _ _
One fine day a large dark-coloured dog was ambling along, unleashed, near the path way on West Hill, so I said "hello" to it upon which it bared its teeth and let out a series of lunging growls at my legs.
This was very threatening and I felt I was about to be savaged but the owner apologised while it kept this up for some time.
Another walker I met on the steps down below said "was that Joey?" or words to that effect and "I'd recognise his bark anywhere, he's such a darling".
Well he certainly wasn't a darling to my mind and I think Roy is right, keep them on a lead as they can be unpredictable and dangerous at any time.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

roy

Postby roy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:17 pm

We have enough dogs in our town without anymore coming here,no end of attacks and trouble with them and their irresponsible owners.
Its time the council took this issue more seriously and fine the owners who dont care about their environment.,

Enjoy life.you never know when it will end.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”