Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Didge

Re: Moving to Hastings with our dog.

Postby Didge » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:31 am

In starting this post, I simply wanted some suggestions as to where we can walk our dog. Thanks to those who have made recommendations.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:25 am

Hey Didge,

don't be so 'blinkered'

you need to understand that dogs have a long history of being a nuisance in the Parks and 'Walks' of Hastings.
A recent attack left 3 adults in need of 'Plastic Surgery'.
I'm sure your little darling is harmless but other dogs may not be and could attack your pet or an adult/child - so take the information as "Circumstantial" if nothing else.
I've heard many complaints of owners dogs being savaged by the "status symbol" dogs owned by local youths who lack self-esteem by any other means.
So "keep it on a lead" would seem eminently sensible advice - unless you are absolutely confident no aggressive pooches are afoot.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Sorry Didge, there are some rude people on this site. I've found most of the people I've met in Hastings to be very friendly.

There are lots of status dogs around owned by young men. some I'm sure are well adjusted and friendly but others aren't. I personally love dogs and there are lots around the area but no more than other areas of the country.

Lots of the beaches, especially over the St Leonard's end are virtually deserted most of the year.

It's difficult to keep a dog on a lead when you are trying to exercise it,

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Children who play with an infested dog or with soil contaminated with its faeces can then inadvertently put their fingers in their mouths and can swallow some of the worm eggs.
The swallowed eggs hatch in the intestine of the child to liberate larvae, which then travel towards the liver, lungs, brain and eyes.
Here they can trigger off allergic reactions such as asthma, and they also have more serious affects such as loss of vision, at least partially.
If the owner is regularly worming the dog, this will not be a problem.

Children generally run a much greater risk of coming into contact with Toxocara in public parks where there is no guarantee that the dogs which are allowed to roam free there are all wormed.
Out of interest, the diagnosis of toxocariasis is made from sputum analysis and from liver biopsy and severe cases are treated in hospital with anthelmintic drugs (anti-worm drugs) to control the infestation.

kirsty1804

Postby kirsty1804 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi Didge

If you drive there are so many lovely place to take you dog for a walk on the outskirts of Hastings. You have Battle Forest, High Woods in Bexhill and many more.

You do have the odd ignorant dog owner that thinks they are always allowed their dog off a lead which is quite frustrating. I have a staffy who sometimes doesn't like boy dogs so I always make sure he is on a lead. Had a run in with some silly lady who's Labrador went for me and my dog and she had the cheek to say to her lab that you don't run up to aggressive dogs, which did make me laugh as wasn't my dog lunging at her.

Hope you have a good move.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:36 am

[quoted]
roy wrote:
We have enough dogs in our town without anymore coming here,no end of attacks and trouble with them and their irresponsible owners.
Its time the council took this issue more seriously and fine the owners who dont care about their environment.,
[/quoted]

We arn't dog owners but I have no problem with responsible dog owners, don't even mind them in pubs (better then kids) but agree irresponsible dog owners are a real pain.

Wiper2001

Postby Wiper2001 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:46 am

We will be moving to Hasting soon with our dogs. Looking forward to walking them everywhere and making new dog owner friends.

The miserable moaners need to also think about the respectable owners that own nice dogs like Labs. Dogs can save lives. Some dogs have a career to save lives and look after people.

Please do not judge dog owners by the irresponsible ones. The dangerous dog owners.

Kids have more chance of getting ill on the beach by playing with human waste as that gets washed out to sea also in some circumstances. I am glad my dogs are banned from the beach. I don't want them to be hurt by what humans have left behind. Broken glass, drug needles and all the other nasty thing humans leave on the beach.

It's a shame that people don't think about the above and just aim their issues at the dog owners. It's these people who make this country a misery to live in.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:35 pm

"It's a shame that people don't think about the above and just aim their issues at the dog owners. It's these people who make this country a misery to live in."

I agree the irresponsible owners are the only people who could possibly be blamed.

Olly

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:24 am

[quoted]Dogs should be kept off the beach all year round,much better for the kids that way and far safer for the rest of us.[/quoted]

Well said roy. When I challenged some chav type who I witnessed letting her dog foul the beach she swore at me, then - can anyone believe this? . . . used her foot to cover it over with shingle. Scum!

Olly

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:28 am

[quoted]
Wiper2001 wrote:
We will be moving to Hasting soon with our dogs. Looking forward to walking them everywhere and making new dog owner friends.

The miserable moaners need to also think about the respectable owners that own nice dogs like Labs. Dogs can save lives. Some dogs have a career to save lives and look after people.

Please do not judge dog owners by the irresponsible ones. The dangerous dog owners.

Kids have more chance of getting ill on the beach by playing with human waste as that gets washed out to sea also in some circumstances. I am glad my dogs are banned from the beach. I don't want them to be hurt by what humans have left behind. Broken glass, drug needles and all the other nasty thing humans leave on the beach.

[color:red]It's a shame that people don't think about the above and just aim their issues at the dog owners. It's these people who make this country a misery to live in.[/color][/quoted]

Well there isn't much point in blaming the dog is there?? Duh!

You'll be spoilt for choice in 'making new dog owner friends' though! This is a doggy town, no doubt about it.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”