Working at Conquest hospital

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Newtotown

Working at Conquest hospital

Postby Newtotown » Sat May 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi,
I will start working to Conquest Hospital shortly and I will move to St Leonards On Sea with my wife and two children.I didn't visit the city yet but from what read it doesn't look very nice. Is it better to rent a place at bexhill or Eastbourne and commute from there? What about Westfield village? is it a good choice? What areas are nice with good primary schools nearby?

Thanks

Anonymous1

Re: Working at Conquest hospital

Postby Anonymous1 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Commuting from anywhere west of Hastings is not a good idea at the moment. The traffic is appalling. The new link road (when it opens) may or may not make things better. Westfield would be a good choice if you don't want to live in Hastings. It's a small village with a shop and a pub but you would find yourself driving into Hastings very regularly to get provisions.

Hastings itself is probably better than you have read but it's all a matter of taste. What puts you off?

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Mon May 26, 2014 6:02 pm

G.K. wrote:Commuting from anywhere west of Hastings is not a good idea at the moment. The traffic is appalling. The new link road (when it opens) may or may not make things better. Westfield would be a good choice if you don't want to live in Hastings. It's a small village with a shop and a pub but you would find yourself driving into Hastings very regularly to get provisions.

Hastings itself is probably better than you have read but it's all a matter of taste. What puts you off?

Well, thanks for your reply. As I said before I am moving with my family. We are not british(middle eastern). Couple years ago there was an Arab got killed in Hastings due to racial reasons! Also I read that there are a lot of drug problems.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon May 26, 2014 7:32 pm

Welcome here Newtown,
I'm not sure what you have read about what?
Or where you are living now?
St Leonards is part of Hastings, the town of which is a very vibrant and diverse community indeed with markets and fairs and local traditions being re-enacted to provide entertainment, people love to party here !!
Some people love Hastings/St Leonards and some are scared off by the odd eccentric characters who, by and large, are entirely ok if you talk to them - if that is what is worrying you.
Property prices and variety here are unmatched, in my opinion, some lovely Victorian houses brim-full of character.
There are plenty of people from a 'displaced' background - but look at some of the Medway towns!!
There are a lot of charitable and caring people and a strong sense of community.
It is basically a working-class holiday town of ordinary folk with sensible values and some of the (working class) 'old boys' are real gentlemen and much more so than any of the so-called "better off people" you may meet elsewhere, who won't give you the time of day unless they think you have money and property.

Every time I return here (Hastings), from various places, I am struck by the calm and relaxed atmosphere of laid-back people enjoying themselves and the beautiful scenery.
The common enemy here, as elsewhere, is the council and its ability behave autocratically and annoy just about everyone!!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Well said Richard. I have yet to find somewhere I would rather live.

Hastings has suffered some bad press over the years (some founded and much unfounded), but if you read the forums you will see the vast majority that have moved here are happy with their decision.

Like any town, there are good and not so good areas. Happy to help if you spot a place to rent and want advice on the area... just ask!

Newtotown

Postby Newtotown » Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks all. I think I've been misled by other reviews. I will visit Hastings next week and find out by myself.
Sure I will need help to locate a good area and I will be more than grateful to ask for your help.
Thanks again

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”