Eversfield Place

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Technique

Re: Eversfield Place

Postby Technique » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:32 pm

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 5318.html#
Not exclusively, but there is a lot of properties like this if you don't mind street properties. You just have to have a good look about. I picked this one as although not in the swankiest area, it is a one way street, so less traffic, has nice dog walking close by and access to the shops and the seafront about equal distance.

It is definitely horses for courses though. ;)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Nice pick Technique. Manor Road is central and you get a hell of a lot for your money. Not the best area but will be up and coming given time due to location.

Technique

Postby Technique » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Geoff wrote:Nice pick Technique. Manor Road is central and you get a hell of a lot for your money. Not the best area but will be up and coming given time due to location.

Something about it appealed to me. I know it's a bit bigger than Jenniffer originally posted, so you could probably get something smaller and a bit bijou/trendy if you took your time. If I was living here on my own it would suit me and my furry fiends just fine. 8-)

Jenniffer

Postby Jenniffer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for that. Yes I suppose it is quite grand on the seafront here, and there is a greater distance from the houses and the sea. However you pay big time for it. I know a guy who lives on the seafront in a 3-bed flat and he pays around £8K a year for maintenance!!! The flat itself cost at least half a million. I really don't know how people afford it here, it's become insane. I know someone else who lives opposite the sea in a flat in one of these Georgian terraces, but ONLY cuz she won the lottery!!! She's on the first floor so doesn't even have a garden!

Wow, a house for under £140K in Manor Road, amazing. Not too far north either. Thanks for that link. I don't mind so much what size it is - could be a 1-bed flat or a house - as long as it's a BIG 1-bed with some sort of outside space, I'd be happy with that. I don't mind a dodgy area - as long as it's not so bad that I'm likely to get burgled all the time. Still having said that when I lived in London (Kilburn) I got burgled three times in one year! They just kept coming back and taking all my new stuff that I'd buy with the insurance settlement.

Technique

Postby Technique » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Jenniffer wrote:Thanks for that. Yes I suppose it is quite grand on the seafront here, and there is a greater distance from the houses and the sea. However you pay big time for it. I know a guy who lives on the seafront in a 3-bed flat and he pays around £8K a year for maintenance!!! The flat itself cost at least half a million. I really don't know how people afford it here, it's become insane. I know someone else who lives opposite the sea in a flat in one of these Georgian terraces, but ONLY cuz she won the lottery!!! She's on the first floor so doesn't even have a garden!

Wow, a house for under £140K in Manor Road, amazing. Not too far north either. Thanks for that link. I don't mind so much what size it is - could be a 1-bed flat or a house - as long as it's a BIG 1-bed with some sort of outside space, I'd be happy with that. I don't mind a dodgy area - as long as it's not so bad that I'm likely to get burgled all the time. Still having said that when I lived in London (Kilburn) I got burgled three times in one year! They just kept coming back and taking all my new stuff that I'd buy with the insurance settlement.

I had the same thing in Peckham, every three months - I think they used to monitor my post and once that insurance cheque came, so did they. I don't think Manor Road is that bad, just a little down at heel, but ripe to come up in my opinion. It is a mere stroll to the lovely open space at Priory Road, just above the Old Town, with Morrisons 10 minutes in the other direction. But it does show what you can get without loads of work needed. AND you wouldn't have anybody above you or below you - result!

Jenniffer

Postby Jenniffer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:33 am

I've also heard from some Hastings estate agent that apparently there is some new train link to London underway, which he anticipates is going to escalate prices considerably and rather quickly. Is that actually happening in the near future? I don't need to commute to London so it won't affect me directly but I'd rather make the move before prices become out of my reach.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Jenniffer wrote:I've also heard from some Hastings estate agent that apparently there is some new train link to London underway

I wouldn't bank on this happening any time soon. Improving the rail link has been talked about loads in the past and never materialized into anything. Here's an old thread from 2005... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2288

Jenniffer

Postby Jenniffer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:55 pm

So they've been talking about it for 10 years?! Not surprised estate agents mentioning it as though it's a dead cert, as it certainly helps them sell properties.

Technique

Postby Technique » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:16 pm

I live in hope that a cheaper quick rail service will arrive. I am lucky in that I can work from home a couple of days a week and I drive to London the other day. For me it costs about the same and at least I am master of my own destiny.

Talking of horses for courses, here is the pricier bijou version of a little house on the outskirts of the old town/country park :)

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/33687385

Jenniffer

Postby Jenniffer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:39 pm

That's a cute little house, thanks! I really have to come to grips with areas - it's just that area is important in that I don't drive, and I'm getting on a wee bit, lots of walking up and down hills and not having shops nearby might do me in. I'm spoiled at the moment, as two supermarket locals (Sainsbury's and Co-Op), chemist, hardware shop, deli, my GP and dentist, are right at the end of my road, as well as the park where I walk my dog! And then there's two bigger supermarkets (Waitrose and Tesco) about a 10 minute walk away. Of course you pay for all that, as it's so expensive round here. I don't expect to find anywhere quite that convenient, but I need to be somewhere where I can get to things OK. I work from home and that makes me a bit reclusive already, without being somewhere where I'm miles away from everything. It seems that the further north you go the less amenities - is that right? No Waitrose in Hastings either! I know it's a bit poncy but I love that shop!

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”