Quiet places to work open past 6pm?

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
NewToHastings

Quiet places to work open past 6pm?

Postby NewToHastings » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi,

Are there any places in town that are open past 6/6:30pm? I have a job that involves taking home a lot of paperwork, and I tend to work better out of the flat. The library closes at around 6:30pm, and Costa Coffee closes around the same time.

Can anyone recommend a quiet place in town where one could bring some paperwork (ideally with some sockets in which to plug a laptop adaptor) and work for a few hours?

Thanks

moonjiver

Re: Quiet places to work open past 6pm?

Postby moonjiver » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:33 pm

This is a tricky one, I've been wrestling with this for ages. I like hanging out in bars and cafes to read or write, but good places in Hastings area are almost non-existent! In the town centre the pubs and bars are mainly very noisy and crowded, e.g. Yates's and the John Logie Baird (I detest that name - he wasn't even the true inventor of the TV system which was eventually adopted!). The JD Bar near the library is the one nice smart bar, friendly and fairly peaceful until late evening when they sometimes do jazz or a disco at weekends for the kids. The food is excellent.

In St Leonard's, Miki's bar (Marina) is not bad but a bit dark and I've just been served the most awful-tasting cup of tea of my life - and someone has put on a flashing disco light which is blinding me as I write! Relax cafe nearby is much nicer, very comfortable and usually peaceful. I recommend a pot of their scrumptious Armenian herb tea.

The Old Town has several really nice old pubs (High Street and All Saints Street). They are often quite peaceful up to late evening when some of them do live blues, bluegrass etc.

The White Rock Hotel (seafront) is not bad for a short drink but over-brightly lit and noisy with chat again.

If I get more ideas, I'll add them. But I'd really like a cosy late cafe or wine bar somewhere - please somebody start something.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Try one of the hotel lounges. Relaxed and quiet they will serve coffee, tea and maybe sandwiches. How about the White Rock Pavilion; not sure if is always open.

Many years ago I revised for some University exams in the County Hotel lounge in Canterbury where the staff would come round and ask if I wanted my coffee topped up which I usually did.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm not sure where the White Rock Pavilion is .. however I'm reminded of the Azur restaurant (seafront on the Marina). Not sure when they close but it's a nice place for a drink, albeit slightly expensive.

The Queen Victoria hotel (Marina) is also worth trying out, beautiful interior and no "riff-raff"! Also maybe the Chatsworth hotel (not been in there myself).

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Everyone should know the White Rock Pavilion. It is the theatre opposite the remains of the pier, unless the venue has changed its name since my last visit south.
Very good sandwiches and a place to look out over the promenade from the terrace.

Not sure about access to a socket for the lap top.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm sorry! Didn't realise it was called W. R. Pavilion. Yes, rather nice at times up on the first floor looking out at the sea. It's open of course in the evenings when shows are on - gets briefly noisy during the intervals, then goes peaceful again. I'm not sure when it's open at other times.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”