thinking about moving to hastings

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
pollydolly12

thinking about moving to hastings

Postby pollydolly12 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:22 pm

hi there

my husband and I are seriously thinking about moving to hastings. we are expecting a baby and we have 2 dogs - i used to live in brighton many years ago - i loved it but couldnt afford to even consider it now. However, we both adore brighton and have heard that hastings is up and coming an could be the next brighton-esque place to be... is this true? Its not too far away and im hoping some of the ever alive brighton feel has extended that way. Also - is it a good place to be a new mum? Groups? Things to do?

many thanks guys - i really look forward to hearing all about it.

polly, michel and bean :D

moonjiver

Re: thinking about moving to hastings

Postby moonjiver » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi, I'm surprised you haven't had responses yet because Hastings is generally a very friendly town! There's also a lot going on and it's not too difficult to meet new people. Mother's groups and so on I'm not sure about, left that period of my life behind some years ago! But Hastings is full of young people and, if you don't find a group in your area, you always start something up, advertise it around.

There's been quite a lot of discussion about moving to Hastings lately, so it's worth reading though the different threads. For events, news etc., another excellent site is Hastings Online Times.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:59 pm

hello pollydolly12,

Brighton has crowds of young people and very good bus services, but it is more like 'London-by-the-sea', these days, certainly it is very expensive in terms of housing.
Hastings will become more populated with students soon, as plans are afoot for it to become a 'University' town, and new venues will surely open up to cater for this expansion, but part of its charm for many of us is that it is definitely not like Brighton.
I can wander around in safety and enjoy the wonderful views and because it is a much smaller place, I know many of the locals and retain my sense of identity.
There is not yet the sense of a frenetic pace of life,compared to Brighton, but I would think there are plenty of 'young mums' to chat with and numerous 'events' to attend.
Dogs seem very welcome generally.

Good luck hunting !!

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Lived in Brighton (05-08) and whilst we enjoyed it while we were there wouldn't swap it for Hastings.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:59 pm

can't make sense of that one.
Please explain what it is you mean to say.

RLP

Postby RLP » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:58 pm

We moved to Hastings/St Leonards 3 years ago. I've written a couple of times before about my overwhelmingly positive feelings towards Hastings and St Leonards, so I'm bound to repeat myself a little! Anyway...

I have only visited Brighton a few times in the last 10 years, and from my limited exposures and explorations found it was a really brilliant place. However, I am better equipped to discuss in relation to London - I was born in London; lived, schooled, universitied, worked, and generally grown as a person. I LOVE London. Love love love it! Our reasons to move, were initially fuelled by desire for more space, more house, and I suppose a bit of an adventure... to try something different! Simply to move to a town for more house would not have been enough for us. But I've always enjoyed and been fascinated by, for most of my adulthood and late teens, watching run down or less obvious parts of London slowly becoming arty, trendy,improved, transformed! This was really what attracted us to Hastings and St Leonards. On exploring the town on many day trips, it was clear to see how and where the town was changing, and also how much unbelievably high potential there was for the town. But what really convinced us in the end was the huge amount of people we got speaking to who had all moved down here! It seems from my assessment like a real surge of migration to the town started to take place from about 2008 onwards, and this has shown no signs of slowing! If anything, I feel like there is a sense of increased momentum of change since we've been here.

To compare this relatively small town to London is silly. London is a huge and amazing city. But Hastings and St Leonards seems like it is almost a part of London to me. Many of the great new independent shops, restaurants, galleries, artistry, attitudes towards design and fashion etc are clearly linked to London either directly in person, or through influence. But also surprisingly, (and excitingly), uniquely tinged with this towns own spirited zest... which I have come to really love! It's own potent, powerful identity! Of course this is just my personal reading of the town, making sense of a place through my own experiences; so where I see London-esque, you may very well see the Brighton-esque!

In terms of being a new mum - my partner is a new Mum, as I am a new Dad, of two children under 3. She is loving it here! She has joined and attends many different groups around town, where she has met many other lovely, like-minded parents and newcomers to the town. In addition to this the town has what I'd perceive to be an above average level of wonderful things to do with kids; the amazing parks, the stunning surrounding countryside with lovely gardens and houses to visit, the beach, the continuous range of events and festivals etc.

So in answer to your questions: yes, yes and yes! See you soon!

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”