Thinking of moving to Hastings

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Reggie A.

Thinking of moving to Hastings

Postby Reggie A. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Thinking of moving to Hastings this year, the main reason is where I live now is just to expensive to rent. And off course thinking of the future me and my partner would like to buy a house and Hastings seems to be quite affordable.

I've heard mixed reviews of both Hastings and St.Leonards that pretty much happens in another city.

So I was wondering if there is any advice anybody out there could give me about relocating to Hastings. The two main queries are:

1- What are the nicer areas to rent?

2- We are not English, so just wondering what is like for non-English residents?

Any other advice is more than welcome.

Thank you!

Gerry Glyde

Re: Thinking of moving to Hastings

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Hello
There are several general enquiry threads on the site raising similar issues. It will be worthwhile going back and reading those of the last year.

You say that you are not English, that in itself is not a problem. The town has some language schools and has done since the 1970s so is used to non English residents. If you would like to have some of your own nationality outlets to join/or use give your nationality and people can provide info.

The town now as a University Centre (of the University of Brighton) so that adds a dimension. Hope that you enjoy the town and environment. Visit for a long weekend and take up the aura. There are some good B & B and gueshouses. (I now live elsewhere) I have used the Jenny Lind in High Street a pub with live music. Internal decor could do with update but I have used it several times. Excellent breakfast at the Land of Green Ginger cafe opposite included. Old Town Guest House, more expensive but much more modern. Or some standard places on Cambridge Gardens (some are used by contractors, students, workers)
Enjoy the town and area

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:30 pm

1. nicer areas to rent - depends on what boxes you want ticking, such as proximity to shops, schools, the sea, parks, just look around for an area you feel comfortable in where the properties are generally well cared for.

2. not English - There is a broad mix here and most people get on with their lives and mind their own business.
The English 'reserve' is well known but you will find people generally friendly.
It's not cosmopolitan London of course, so any smaller community shows an element of insularity towards others, be they English or non-English people, from elsewhere.

As Gerry says Hastings has a growing "University" admission of students of all nationalities and we are also host to many overseas 'youth exchange groups' who scatter about the town asking for information set up by teachers in the form of a simple quiz.
No problems for you as far as I can see.
:)

Good Luck to you !!

Reggie A.

Postby Reggie A. » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, very helpful and very informative.

It's great to know that they are language schools in Hastings, I am an English language teacher, so that's another positive.

Must admit I am more excited about making the move than before. Cheers!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:21 pm

The Language Schools seem to be a thriving industry in Hastings:

http://www.hastings.gov.uk/community_li ... e_schools/

enfield21

Postby enfield21 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Well i would like to Think so. But where is the best places to live in Hastings?

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sun May 03, 2015 2:21 pm

That depend entirely on what values you have. Without some parameters nobody can provide an opinion.
Near the sea or inland
Quiet road or buzzy vibes
Near bus route or off the beaten track

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”