Re-locating to Hastings from Cornwall

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
SallyHW

Re-locating to Hastings from Cornwall

Postby SallyHW » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi! My husband is going to be working out of Lydd airport from 1st April so we are moving to Hastings as we come from a beautiful seaside town in Cornwall, but it does get a bit boring down here. We looked at Ashford, Kent, and surrounding areas, but I need to be by the sea having been brought up by it. We are going to be in Hastings next weekend for a couple of days just to have a look around and get a feel for the place. I have never been yet I'm about to move there! Can anyone give me some sound advice about where would be a nice place to live. We're looking for a detached 3/4 bed property to rent firstly, but would like to be in a nice/quiet area off the main roads. I have also booked us into a restaurant called Webb's - in Rocka Nore? anyone know what its like? We are coming to Hastings knowing nobody so hope to make lots of new friends. Any advice for us would be great. Thanks. Sally :)

Richard

Re: Re-locating to Hastings from Cornwall

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:33 am

Hi SallyHW,

Webbe's is the only place my neighbour will visit when he is down from 'The Smoke'.
Mind you he is a bit indulgent!!
Try walking all over the old town, also go up onto West Hill and enjoy the exhilarating views (you can take the 'funicular car' in George Street) and then at least get a 'cab' up to Alexandra Park and explore.
Then go back down to walk along the promenade to St Leonards.

Places to live depend on your boxes which must be ticked.

Good Luck!!

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:27 pm

For detached property how about Fairlight, sea views from cliffs backing onto fields near to A259 access.
There are a few places by Old Roar Gill on an unmade road. St Helens area or The Ridge. Sedlescombe Road South area and Filsham Road. Or indeed out towards surrounding villages, (not very good for public transport)
Central town areas probably not suitable because of traffic and property type.

SallyHW

Postby SallyHW » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Thank you both for your replies, they were very helpful. Sounds like Webbs might be pricey but good but hubby's paying and I'm worth it! :D
Interesting that you mention Fairlight, I'd looked at that area. I guess it depends on whats available and where at the end of the day but as long as we are in a quietish road with nice properties I'll be happy. I'm really looking forward to being close to London, shops, entertainment, the rest of Europe and civilization!! We're both 53 but theres life in the old dogs yet and we are quite sociable and enjoy the bright lights every now and then, its just that when you live in Cornwall, its a trek to just get out of the west country, let alone the expense. You cant go to London and back in a day to see a show from Falmouth! I'm going to be job huting too - now that IS dauting!! I've been in my job as a receptionist in an aesthetic beauty clinic for 7 years now and love it, so hopefully I can find similar part time work in or around Hastings. My husband is a part of the UK Search and Rescue Helicopter team and they are having a new base at Lydd, hence the move! Its quite exciting and a big big step. Looking forward to meeting all you Hastings people who I hear are very friendly. :)

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 am

I am very friendly, but am now an ex-pat living in the North East!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Many festivals and street activities here, people let it all hang out whenever they can.
Everyone enjoys revelry, people like to Party!!
The younger ones (and not so young) even sit on the ground, at any time, just to take it easy.
Funny place with many quirky inhabitants, some odd, but mostly endearing.
:D

SallyHW

Postby SallyHW » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Gerry hopefully you are enjoying the North East every bit as much as the South East!
Richard, it sounds just our kind of place! I'm loving the sound of it and cant wait to actually SEE it this coming weekend for a couple of days. I know weather wise its not going to be at its best, but I'm sure we'll have a pretty good idea of what its like. To be honest, it sounds a lot like the lovely town we come from, Falmouth, Cornwall, but on a larger scale and with much more to do and places within 'day trip' distance. I am very excited about this new chapter in our lives. Thanks again!
Sally

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:24 pm

If you have the time before your meal take the lift from the Old Town just along from Webbs I think, up to the East Hill for a bracing walk or better still work up an appetite and walk up the steps.

For a less energetic stroll take the West Hill lift (or the 100 steps, there are not 100) in George Street up to the West Hill and then eastwards towards the Croft and back down to the Old Town for dinner.

SallyHW

Postby SallyHW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks Gerry, that sounds great. It will be a bracing walk if they're right about the weather this weekend! Looking forward to it.
Regards
Sally.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”