Another Londoner, and a crafty business

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Ginger

Another Londoner, and a crafty business

Postby Ginger » Wed May 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Hello and yes, it's another south Londoner thinking of moving down...
I am single and it would just be me and my dog. I want to combine my house with my business - fabric and craft based. I understand it's all getting crafty down in Hastings at the moment - so have I missed the boat? Will i die a lonely cat lady from London?
I have seen a couple of lovely properties and can't believe how much you get for your money compared to London and Brighton. Is there a catch?
I really want to be by the sea, and would hope to have some rooms to rent, and classes for people. I am a special needs teacher so may need to do some supply work... ?
Are people getting fed up of us Londoners? Would people want sewing classes? A craft cafe? Crafty B and B? Am I a dreamer?
Any ideas and advice welcome.
G

Mick.

Re: Another Londoner, and a crafty business

Postby Mick. » Mon May 11, 2015 11:22 am

You will be fine down here...plenty of ex South Londoners live here....and absolutely love it.

seaside_love

Postby seaside_love » Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 pm

The influx of londoners moving down at the moment is crazy and unfortunately it is changing the vibe and charm that hastings has. It has always been a very creative place, however being that it is my hometown I am finding there is starting to be a biased towards Londoners, as like I said the amount moving down is quite startling and seems to be changing things. :(

Mick.

Postby Mick. » Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 am

Many Londerners would say the same thing about London as long as those moving down embrass Hastings for what it is and add something of value then I really don't see a problem with it. I have heard some 'old towners' complaining about the influx from London (DFL) however you have to ask yourself this...who are selling the Old Town houses to them in the first place.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue May 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Thank you for your replies.

gingham

Re: Another Londoner

Postby gingham » Tue May 12, 2015 8:35 pm

hastings-st-leonards-sussex.-british-railways-vintage-travel-poster-print-553-p[ekm]180x288[ekm].jpg
hastings-st-leonards-sussex.-british-railways-vintage-travel-poster-print-553-p[ekm]180x288[ekm].jpg (15.51 KiB) Viewed 5701 times

I agree with Mick. Vibrant places have a constant stream of new people with different outlooks, talents and cultures. People have to live according their means and unfortunately it is no longer possible to live in London if you are earning less than the London Living wage. I think Hasting's history has many groups of people inhabiting and appreciating its particular features. It might turn the Tory vote result to Labour next time! Isn't the name Hastings from the Saxons, and weren't they from Denmark or Germany ? ..... More businesses might result in increasing Hastings economy. yada yada
Wishing all well.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 pm

I live in London but always wanted to be by the sea. I know a few people in st Leonard who tell me I would love it. I always enjoy a visit - but know it's not same as living somewhere.... Mick you have been so kind replying. Thank you. Not sure if I will wht the job I just applied for...

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue May 12, 2015 10:23 pm

There is some nonsense spread about 'Old Town' folk resenting the London intrusion but it seems (historically) they have done little to protect any part of the history in which they live, whilst Londoners typically come along and do their best to preserve 'their' heritage.

Mick.

Postby Mick. » Wed May 13, 2015 8:58 am

Richard wrote:There is some nonsense spread about 'Old Town' folk resenting the London intrusion but it seems (historically) they have done little to protect any part of the history in which they live, whilst Londoners typically come along and do their best to preserve 'their' heritage.

I wouldn't say it's nonsense, though it is only a view expressed by a very small minority (I have personally heard such comments...not directly at me I may add.. and we are out and about in the Old Town quite a bit). We have lived in Hastings for almost 5 years now and the vast majority of people are most wellcoming (can't see ourselves living anywhere else to be honest) I also think that any negative views are directed towards those who buy up Old Town houses and simply use them as holiday homes (be interested to know what % of homes in the Old Town are holiday homes). Interestingly enough I would say that at least 1/2 the people who we know (the vast majority through the Old Town pub scene) are from outside Hastings, some have been here for years others just months. As I said before the secret is to embrass all that this has to offer....not to sure what you mean by "preserve their heritage".

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed May 13, 2015 10:11 am

hi Mick,

There are many examples of houses that have been left to 'rack and ruin' in the old town (and elsewhere in Hastings) that have been saved from extinction by people (not necessarily from London) moving in and doing them up.
There was a case in the old town where a lady from Devon or Cornwall moved in and saved a house but was met with local hostility despite saving a row of cottages that the council wanted to pull down in the old town as they had been so neglected and unwanted.
She eventually managed to save the lot but none of the locals spoke to her or encouraged her, and yet without her efforts the houses would have all been destroyed along with what was indeed 'part of their heritage'.
Historically the old town has been typically very clannish and at one time the residents were classed as unwashed 'pariahs' by the rest of the (newer) Hastings town as it developed.
Now it seems the tables might have turned somewhat.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”