Moving to hastings

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
gay bloke

Moving to hastings

Postby gay bloke » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi ,have just brought a house in the West Hill area of Hastings which have not moved into yet .Can anybody tell me if as a gay bloke people will be friendly to me .I am a quite friendly guy

Derek Jempson

Re: Moving to hastings

Postby Derek Jempson » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:24 am

Generally speaking, I find that if one behaves in a friendly manner, then others will respond in kind. Conversely, go around in a grumpy manner scowling at all and sundry, one will get at best, cold indifference. Your sexual orientation isn't (or shouldn't be) an issue. Good luck with your new home - I'm envious, I've always wanted to live on the West Hill. :pirate: (couldn't resist adding the pirate flag)

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 am

People are generally very friendly down in the old town, people just do what they want and nobody gives a damn. I don't believe that being 'gay' makes any difference to how you would be treated.
The new town seems a wee bit rough these days, but I have seen boys (and girls) holding hands and kissing up in the train station concourse and nobody turns a hair.
I would say Hastings is 'gay friendly' but without any 'scene', the majority are working class young families or day-trippers and students.
There is no Club of any type in Hastings now but I think that may be about to change, an old venue may re-open but it most probably won't be as a gay club.
Hastings is a back-water in contrast to Brighton with its well known 'gay' culture.
Perhaps we need more gay people in Hastings to counter some of the rough elements still being dumped on us here by London Councils, just how do they get away with that?
:pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

gay bloke

Postby gay bloke » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks for the info I not bothered about a gay scene ,yes I know what you mean about London Councils moving people down ,it is not right really ,perhaps they should start looking at Eastbourne then it will Hastings alone .Hastings has come up and is still coming up .I read somewhere that over 100 years ago Hastings was better than Brighton. Well if we had the A21 made like the London to Brighton road it would be better than Brighton again .
When I walk around Brighton now there are a lot of roughs ,drunks, drugs and people sleeping rough.Most of the shop workers don't understand you or cannot be bothered with you .
I think in time Hastings council will stop taking these people don't no how long it will be but hopefully not to long

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Basically I think London Councils are using the least excuse to turf out LHA tenants, who miss paying rent for a number of reasons, and try to do the equivalent of taking an unwanted puppy out along the country lanes to somewhere distant, so that it can't find its way 'home'.
Hasting's Landlords are given a 6 month rent 'bung' (by London Councils) to house the unfortunates and 'Shelter' and 'Barnardo's very much dislike the process.
Some former London tenants find there way back anyway and so just the landlord benefits, regardless.
Social cleansing by any other name would smell the same.

If Hastings had road and rail links comparable to Brighton the house prices would be similar (as they were in the 1980's) and we would be less desirable as a dumping ground.
That will not happen in the near future, so expect more of the same from ruthless London Councils.

newfie

Postby newfie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:53 am

The road is gradually inproving and Amber Rudd (Tory MP) is working on getting the rail improved - hopefully an extension of the high speed line from Ashford. I live in the Old Town and some people here are very against better rail and road links as they don't want house prices to go up and don't want more dfls like me (down from Londoners).

I like living in a place where there is a variety of races and cultures - makes the place far more interesting. Hastings is lacking that but more foreigners are moving in, especially Eastern Europeans. The place is incrementally improving which is a good thing. Though it's sad to see some of the good things dropping away like Pirate Day, the High St traders street party, the concert on the beach that is no longer on the beach, the High St museum, Hastings Council funding for local events and so on.

There was a gay bar on Queen St called forbidden fruit that had weekly drag acts. It closed down as not enough people were going. It didn't help that they were up against homes and got noise complaints. Plus sometimes their drinks tasted dodgy which put me off going. There's a lady called Denise who lives in the old town - a well known character there - she works as a madame at Stringfellows in London during the week. She is trying to organise a monthly gay night at the Albion in the old town. Hopefully that'll get off the ground as that's a good location despite being a dire pub. I'm she you'll meet the local gays soon enough - if you can't find them then have a look at grindr, scruff and the like and you'll meet a few. The St Leonard in St Leonard's (oddly enough) sometimes has gay events.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:47 pm

The 'so-called' gay friendly 'Forbidden Fruit' (opposite Morrisons but higher up than 'The Fountain') pumped good money into setting up a new internal layout with harsh lighting and awkward seating with no sense of belonging to the pub as a whole, the experience was pretty dire and run to suit the new owners, with no vision of providing a friendly atmosphere and so all the locals, who went to it when it was a family-friendly pub called 'The Imperial', just stayed away.
It was a waste of money and about as 'gay-friendly' as a late-night visit to an airport when the flight has been cancelled and you have to sit around feeling miserable.

roy

Postby roy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:55 pm

No one cares if your a homosexual or not ,its not even a issue, just get on with your life ,simple as that.

tonyJ

Postby tonyJ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:44 am

Hello there. So did you move in? How was it and how has it been? We are looking at possibly buying a property with a view to staying in it for short while - then maybe letting it, and ultimately using it as a semi retirement property when we get to that age. Did it feel comfortable?

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:44 am

Yes do keep us updated. All info about moving here is helpful to others considering the same steps.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”