Street opinions: Cornwallis Gardens, Warrior Sq and other?

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
Elphie

Street opinions: Cornwallis Gardens, Warrior Sq and other?

Postby Elphie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi all,
My partner and I are planning to buy our first flat and have fallen in love with Hastings and St Leonards.

We've seen one that we like on Warrior Sq but keep reading in forums that it's a bad area although nobody seems to be saying what's wrong with it. Does anyone live around there who can tell me what it's like?

I'm also interested in areas around Alexandra Park, Cornwallis Gardens, Priory Road and Priory Avenue so any opinions on those would be hugely appreciated. We don't want to be too far from either West St Leonards, St Leonard's Warrior Sq or Hastings station, we don't have a big budget and we need a private garden so we're a bit limited in the areas we can buy in. I love Norman Road but I expect that will be out of our price range, although I haven't seen anything there on the market yet. I've heard that the streets around it eg Kenilworth Rd aren't great though.

We've been to both towns a few times and it always seems lovely so not sure how concerned we should be about some of the areas mentioned.

Thanks so much for your help

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Street opinions: Cornwallis Gardens, Warrior Sq and other?

Postby Geoff » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Neither of the places you mention are particularly bad. Warrior Square's reputation is much worse than it's bite. It has a nicer outlook (assuming you're not in a basement) and I prefer the beach along that end too. But if you want the town centre life have a look at Cornwallis Gardens.
Hope that helps ;)

Elphie

Postby Elphie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks Geoff, that's good to know!

kerryc3

Postby kerryc3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:54 pm

Thinking of moving to St Leonards - but know very little about the area. What at the good and bad points about the area. I am coming from London and used to lots going on and have a very friendly community where I am. What are peoples views of moving to this area?

Elphie

Postby Elphie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Kerry,
I'm in the same position, moving from London and really like the look of St Leonards too. My partner and I have been down a few times to get a feel for the place, as well as reading lots about it online on forums such as this one.

The only negative thing I've heard about it are crime, which you can check street by street on the Police website, but I haven't seen any trouble when I've been there. The 1.5hr + journey from London is a bit annoying too. Apart from that I've heard good things about regeneration plans, sense of community, classes and groups to get involved in and I'm a creative so I'm attracted by the amount of arty types who seem to be coming in from London and Brighton.

I hope you get some replies from those more in the know :)

Tarmar

Postby Tarmar » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:50 pm

I moved to st Leonards from sw London and couldn't be happier. The kenilworth rd/'seven streets' area has lots of rented flats, and that's why it has a bit of a reputation. However I've lived here for over a year and I've seen nothing particularly untoward. Locals moan a bit about crime/drugs etc but it's no worse than many areas of London, and in fact probably better than some. The only downside I've found are the natives who can be a bit intolerant of newcomers, and the consistent dog fouling in the streets. The lifestyle is much more laid back and there are events and festivals practically every month, many free, and if you choose your area well you can walk to many places. Each area has positive and negatives, you just need to figure out what your priorities are. Closer to beach or parks or shops or transport? Period charm and needing work or newer but less character? The Old town is pretty but busy and noisy in summer and more expensive. Hastings around Cornwallis/Cambridge road is slowly turning into a student zone, and getting to be quite lively with the O.B. but still relatively cheap. White rock is the next regeneration area. Warrior square used to be rougher when it had a particular homeless hostel which closed a while back. Clive vale is attractive and good for families. Due to my circumstances I had to spend a lot of time researching before I moved! ;) pm me if you want to know more about any particular streets.

Tarmar

Postby Tarmar » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Oh and the streets around Priory Rd can sometimes be busy with traffic as they are used as a 'rat run'...something to keep in mind.

Mick.

Postby Mick. » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:20 am

Tarmar wrote:I moved to st Leonards from sw London and couldn't be happier. The kenilworth rd/'seven streets' area has lots of rented flats, and that's why it has a bit of a reputation. However I've lived here for over a year and I've seen nothing particularly untoward. Locals moan a bit about crime/drugs etc but it's no worse than many areas of London, and in fact probably better than some. The only downside I've found are the natives who can be a bit intolerant of newcomers, and the consistent dog fouling in the streets. The lifestyle is much more laid back and there are events and festivals practically every month, many free, and if you choose your area well you can walk to many places. Each area has positive and negatives, you just need to figure out what your priorities are. Closer to beach or parks or shops or transport? Period charm and needing work or newer but less character? The Old town is pretty but busy and noisy in summer and more expensive. Hastings around Cornwallis/Cambridge road is slowly turning into a student zone, and getting to be quite lively with the O.B. but still relatively cheap. White rock is the next regeneration area. Warrior square used to be rougher when it had a particular homeless hostel which closed a while back. Clive vale is attractive and good for families. Due to my circumstances I had to spend a lot of time researching before I moved! ;) pm me if you want to know more about any particular streets.

And Clive Vale is very handy for the Old Town, though its mainly all up hill on the way back, we tend to walk down and get a cab up...usually around 4 quid.

bernard

Postby bernard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:11 pm

This thread is a few months old, but in case anyone's still interested, I would say be very careful where you move to around Warrior Square. We moved into a building on Eversfield Place recently and it has been a nightmare. The place is full of smackheads, they shoot up in the corridors and leave used needles around the place, steal our mail, the dealers are aggressive if you try to get them to leave, the police are very slow to do anything and act like you're inconveniencing them - they have raided one of the dealers' flats but that only seemed to stop them for 24 hours then they were back at it again. I've never lived anywhere as bad as this in my life and I lived in some dodgy parts of London for 15 years. Luckily our landlord has been sympathetic and is letting us out of our contract early. I've heard Warrior Square used to be a lot worse and maybe it's slowly improving but there's a heck of a lot of junkies around, especially around Norman Road/London Road junction you'll see them begging and dealers openly selling.

Acacia

Postby Acacia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi there!
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what it’s like to live in Cornwallis Gardens, and to go for walks from there to the Old Town.

I’ve read posts from 2016, but I’d like to know if anything has changed.

Thank you.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”