Moving from London with the family.

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
amstone

Moving from London with the family.

Postby amstone » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi,
We are moving from south London with our 2 boys. 6yrs and 9rs. We are viewing 8 properties this weekend and was really excited about this but after reading some other forums we are a little worried now about the move.
Our reasons for the move are obviously to be by the sea and the fact that we will have a bigger house for a much smaller mortgage.
My worry now is that we have read negative things about the Hastings area. :cry: as in the Hastings area is socially deprived and has big drug problem in areas. If i am honest we have been back and forth loads recently and it has felt right but i really need to put the kids first and need some reassurance that this has either been exaggerated or is indeed a huge problem.
My eldest son has ASD and is extremely socially shy and the move is suppose to be a positive move for him we are hoping a much slower pace of life for him. He requires more of a community spirit then where we are now.
We have property's to view in Bex hill on sea and blacklands area and st leonards.
Id really appreciate some honest opionipons and some directions as to where to avoid and where would be a positive move for my family. We also have a dog so parks recommendations too please. Thanks for your time.

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Moving from London with the family.

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi Amstone and welcome to the forum.

I can only speak from personal experience on the local areas, but I have lived in quite a few different parts of Hastings & St Leonards over the years and know the area quite well.

For a more laid back (neighbourly) lifestyle I would recommend the Blacklands area of Hastings, or West St Leonards. Bexhill is mainly retired people, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you give me some road names I will say which would be my personal preference. Not necessarily the holy grail but at least you will have a local's opinion.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:41 pm

There are some previous posts on this topic but you need the time to wade through the forum!

Briefly, I would say that Hastings is a strangely mixed-up area, you need to choose your location quite carefully. Some of the centre of Hastings can be quite dubious but up towards Alexandra Park is much nicer. The Old Town is fascinating but somewhat noisy around George Street, one of the most popular tourist destinations. North and eastwards from there is quieter and nicer.

St Leonards is up-and-coming, full of art studios, antique shops and lovely cafes, but the east side of London Road (Kings Road and Warrior Square) is quite scruffy and not pleasant at night. West St Leonards is quiet and nice.

You might find Bexhill very pleasant in the daytime but a bit boring for young people! Everything closes down at 5pm and there is little of the live music and nightlife which Hastings is renowned for.

Outside Hastings, the landscape is beautiful and one of the things which cements me to this part of the UK. I have just been walking along Winchelsea beach to Rye Harbour, watching cormorants bask in the sun and not really wanting to go home. Your kids would love the cliffs and rock pools at Pett Level - check it out!

amstone

Postby amstone » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Okay so today I have spent another full on day doing research and looked at a few house's. Im in love with blacklands road. So quiet and have seen a perfect house. Also looked at folkington gardens in little ridge. Little ridge seemed nice. Also reedswood road seemed a great location but house didn't tick all the boxes. I need to look into high schools as they seem a bit more difficult to find. Very impressed with the local primary though.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Blacklands Drive is nice, really well positioned for town, park, woods etc, and some nice properties. In my opinion the only downside is kids playing in the street. Footballs, bikes, shouting etc etc (especially in the cul-de-sac end). For those that have kids themselves and don't mind this, then I guess it would be ideal. For those wanting a bit more peace and quiet there are other parts of Blacklands that would be more attractive.

Little Ridge is a pretty respectable area too, fairly modern in the grand scheme of things, which has it's positives and down sides. Properties are relatively small and all look very similar. I've heard Little Ridge referred to as "Samesville". Plenty of younger families live there so should be good for kids to mingle.

I guess we all want different things out of where we live, but looking at what you've told us about your situation I would go for Blacklands Drive out of the two.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”