Residents parking

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
RuthEH

Residents parking

Postby RuthEH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi
I am thinking of moving to St. Leonards - I am particularly interested in the Marina area but I am concerned regarding the parking situation. As there are very few streets going back off the main road all the parking seems to have to be along the front. Whenever I have visited I never see a space available.
I live in central London so I am quite used to not being able to park outside my front door, however there is residents parking which does protect the residents to a certain degree. I work from home and would use the car on and off during the day. I just don't like the idea of spending hours driving around waiting for a space to come free or having to park 20 mins walk from my home. I suspect that because it is free parking, people visiting Hastings might park there and get the bus - leaving their car there all day. Does anyone know if there is residents parking proposed? Any information would be really welcome.
I am interested in the more westerly end of the Marina.
Many thanks

Best

RuthEH

seahermit

Re: Residents parking

Postby seahermit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:34 am

This is not an informed reply but might be helpful until others give you precise details. (I myself dispensed with a car some time ago, since everything in Hastings is within walking distance and the car became largely a waste of money!).

As far as I know, free parking is limited in Hastings, very little in the centres of Hastings or St Leonards. There is of course Residents' parking - but my friend lives in Stanhope Place, not far back from the Marina, and he often has difficulty parking near to his home, frequently has to walk back more than a few yards. He often has to do a mini-tour of the surrounding streets to find a spot, or go back and move his car later! You have to be lucky or cultivate a lot of patience.

I have another friend who luckily can leave his car on his drive much of the time. He walks into town - quicker and less hassle than trying to find a parking place.

Sorry, not that helpful, but the Council don't like motorists ..

RuthEH

Postby RuthEH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Thank you so much - its not looking too good but I really must have a car. I think that the middle to west end of the Marina is probably the worst for parking as there is only the main sea road (which is where I would like to be) - further along going east, past the hotel, my friend lives there and he has little problem as he can go back a bit and away from the front. I will wait for some more answers before I make a decision. Once again many thanks.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am

Yes, behind the Royal Victoria Hotel there are a number of backstreets where you can park for free or with a resident's permit, although you may still have to hunt around at times or get there before other people cone home from work!

Further westwards along the seafront towatds Grosvenor Gardens, you may have a problem. If you could be more specific about the area or streets you are looking at, maybe your friend, or someone here, could glance around and repirt back to you on the situation. Or plan for a bit of walking!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 am

Yes, behind the Royal Victoria Hotel there are a number of backstreets where you can park for free or with a resident's permit, although you may still have to hunt around at times or get there before other people cone home from work!

Further westwards along the seafront towatds Grosvenor Gardens, you may have a problem. If you could be more specific about the area or streets you are looking at, maybe your friend, or someone here, could glance around and report back to you on the situation. Or plan for a bit of walking!

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”