Safe Areas For Single Woman?

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
bythesea

Safe Areas For Single Woman?

Postby bythesea » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello!
I've had a nice browse over the recent threads about areas to live in the Hastings/St Leonards area but thought I'd add in my own question. I'm intending to accept a job offer in the Hastings/St Leonards area and am looking into either renting or buying a property depending on how far my budget will go.

I would be living alone and was just wondering if there were any particular areas people would recommend, or warn off living in for someone in my situation? I have a car and so wouldn't need to rely on public transport: though being able to park at where I intend to live would be a massive pro. Thanks so much in advance for your help/advice! :D

seahermit

Re: Safe Areas For Single Woman?

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Hello "bythesea". Maybe your forename is "hopefully"!

Sorry to sound a bit dismissive but the idea that some areas might be more risky for single women, less so for men, is just not on - life doesn't work out like that. If an area is a bit rough and unfriendly after dark, the risks of muggings, burglary etc. or even simply bad or noisy neighbours apply to everyone regardless of gender. Equally I knew a woman who had a really nice flat in Marine Court (lovely part of St Leonards) but had to sell up because of unwanted attention from a mixed-up neighbour.

Life is pot-luck, there are risks everywhere, you just have to be sensible, choose a decent area (if you can afford it) and hope it works out. Obviously some areas are safer than others and some of the previous forum threads should give you some clues, but as I said you can't predict what may or may not happen.

It is really important to check out an area, walk around if you can and ask lots of questions. Shopkeepers and cafe owners are often glad to gossip and have a change from their usual type of conversation!

Otherwise, it depends a lot on luck really. Hope it all works out for you. Be prepared to move on if necessary, I moved several times around Hastings before I found a flat I really felt happy in.

bythesea

Postby bythesea » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:01 pm

I am absolutely mortified that my post has been read to insinuate an area being more dangerous for a woman than a man. I completely meant my situation as in regarding "safer" or "I'd avoid" areas for someone who is living/walking around alone and just used "woman" to describe myself instead of "person". I was adding in my own question as whilst some posts have been about single people, some of the advice given has been for family home type settings and so potentially with different needs such as school areas, or other situations with needs such as gardens for animals. Upon rereading I can see how that could come across though, and I apologise if I've caused any offence with that.

Thanks for your advice about shop and cafe owners. You make a good point with unpredictability and luck involved in "safety". I'm definitely going to have a walk around to get a feel for different areas. I've read some conflicting advice on the internet regarding areas to avoid/recommend living in but many have dates that are slightly older, so just wanted to check if it was all still relevant/up-to-date. Thanks!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 pm

hello bythesea,

It's not 'Jack-The-Ripper' territory here and the local women are as tough as old boots.
I'd say you are pretty safe anywhere.

Just remember rule no. 1:
No talking to Pirates!
:)

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 am

No offence taken! I'm sorry I misunderstood you. But unfortunately it isn't true that one is safe anywhere - in London, in Hastings or anywhere else you have to be sensible and follow some rules. Compared to Streatham/Brixton where I came from (and which became very threatening and violent) Hastings seems to me somewhat idyllic - few of the horrible things currently happening in parts of London seem to be a feature of the south coast.

But still one needs to be careful. I greatly dislike walking back from St Leonards Warrior Square station late at night, I often get accosted by beggars or drunks and the absence of police these days means that there are illicit trades going on at times (if you know what signs to look for!). The obvious thing is to just keep to the main roads not backstreets and don't take chances. But most of St Leonards is fine, getting nicer as time goes on and the bar/cafe area along the seafront is pretty safe at any hour.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”