Alexandra Park or Marina?

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
sea-saw20

Alexandra Park or Marina?

Postby sea-saw20 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi, I am moving back to the UK after living abroad for some time. I am considering buying a property either in the Alexandra Park area (St Helen's Road) or Marina St Leonards. I would really appreciate some opinions on which is more desirable, or any other info people living in the area have. I have spent time in Hastings over the years, so I know I like both to visit, but would like to know what people think about living there. Any info much appreciated.

seahermit

Re: Alexandra Park or Marina?

Postby seahermit » Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 am

Not being rude, but you need to do a bit of leg-work really! If you read through some of the old threads in this section, there are a lot of helpful comments about living in different areas of Hastings/St Leonards. The fact is that there are no short answers - what suits one person does not keep another happy.

But to attempt a short answer, I would just add that I myself love being near to the shore, also the antique and junk shops and some really nice restaurants and cafes. But parts of the Marina can look very scruffy and shabby on a bad day, very slowly that is changing maybe.

Alexandra Park area is of course different and looks better-heeled - but it is more residential, fewer places to eat/drink and it has always seemed a bit lonelier to me!

Richard

Re: Alexandra Park or Marina?

Postby Richard » Mon May 11, 2020 10:31 am

There seems to be a general north-south and east-west divide in St. Leo's .
West of Norman Road is gentrified and the low-life don't go across from the east side.
The north, up through St Leonards Gardens and Markwick Gardens, Upper Maze Hill, boasts some impressive property for the rather well-heeled. It is pleasant, quiet and secluded up there.
Down to the Marina is risking strong storms in the winter and the cafe's are not exactly worth holding your breath over.
St Helens is more sheltered and has a lovely Park, it is a little 'curtain-twitchy' up in the adjacent Black lands area but it is quiet and calming. Nearby is St. Helens Woods and the wooded St Helens area, the latter shaped like a huge scoop in the side of a hill falling from 'The Ridge' down to the coast.

I think you would need three weeks continual searching and tramping around to have any idea of what the area is like and remember it is not what you have but what you do with it that matters.
Better a small house/flat that you love than a mansion you feel unhappy in.
Neighbours in terraced properties with rampant kids running up and down bare stairs all day can be annoying but you can't really choose your neighbours anywhere.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”