Wireless internet coverage on trains to London

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Jo1

Wireless internet coverage on trains to London

Postby Jo1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Hello, can anyone recommend a mobile wireless company to get good internet coverage on a laptop on the train from Hastings to Charing Cross?
Also would you recommend using a dongle? I'm a bit behind when it comes to latest developments so any suggestions welcome!

Richard

Re: Wireless internet coverage on trains to London

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi Jo1
Most providers websites will give areas they have coverage over - but they are not to be trusted entirely and probably the best of a bad bunch is all you can hope for.
Modern laptops have a place where you can slot the sim card from your mobile (also 'cell phone tethering' allows your laptop to use the phone's Internet service.)
I think many modern laptops have WiFi cards installed (WiFi enabled) or a suitable dongle can easily be added externally.

can anyone else recommend good cell-phone coverage and we can use that as a yardstick to move forwards??

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:37 pm

EE seem to have the best coverage, so T-mobile or Orange. Both of which have recently put up their prices (probably to fund their new 4G network). If you are doing that journey anyway I would ask people their opinion on the train. Can't hurt to get some opinions.

I would go for a phone package with a generous internet allowance and then tether the laptop. ie use the phone's connection to access the net. That way you are only paying for one contract.

Both Android and Windows phones allow tethering but I don't think iPhones do.

Hope that helps.

Jo1

Postby Jo1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello,

Many thanks for your suggestions - very helpful. I will follow up with my mobile company to start with.

Best wishes

Jo1

Krine

Postby Krine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes, thanks from me too.

Indeed, I did try the O2 dongle, but then decided to stop the experience because I was not really happy. I would definitely next go for a good Internet coverage on my mobile phone.

Krine

Return to “Technology Chat”