London commute - does anyone drive?

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
jules

London commute - does anyone drive?

Postby jules » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:48 pm

I am not sure how many days I will have to go into London to work when we move down there. My workplace is about to go into a new building where 'hot desking' is positively encouraged, so there may be potential for a couple of days per week working from home. so far all of my research has been about commuting by train, but I was wondering if any of you drive and how much longer it takes you at peak times - or do you leave ultra early to miss the rush?

Ta :)

jules

Re: London commute - does anyone drive?

Postby jules » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Ah well; looks like the roads might be empty then! :P

I have a friend that lives in St Leonards and he commuted by car every day for the 15-odd years he worked in London and found it fine. I need a car for work 'up town' but not really in Hastings, so am tempted to leave it up there. I suppose it depends how many days I am expected to attend the office.

My only experience is driving down in the evening, which is okay in the light, but I find the speed the locals go at in the dark on the twisty A21 quite terrifying!

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:08 pm

My OH is thinking of driving up on Monday and back on Fridays. He's going by train at the moment. Will let you know how it goes once he starts. Trains so expensive I think driving will be cheaper.

jules

Postby jules » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:56 pm

I am lucky to have continuing use of a flat in London should I need it - basically for a peppercorn rent (much less than the train fare). BUT; Him Indoors works mostly weekends and I work weekdays - another logistical hiccough in our great scheme of things_ _ _ :S

The ideal world (is there such a thing?) would be a reasonable reliable commute that leaves enough time to enjoy seaside living - I can dream; can't I?

Scootagal

Postby Scootagal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Jules - if you find this ideal world scenario let me know!! We've been scouring the options for going on 2 years now and keep going round in circles that the commute is just too long :( But we went back this weekend and are now back in the 'Maybe we could make it work' boat :) We're dreaming too!!

jules

Postby jules » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I so know what you mean! We are exceptionally lucky to have use of a friends place at Three Oaks (they are fortunate enough to have a house here and a house in London and split their time to suit as they are semi retired) 8) Every time we stay down in Hastings I can see the sense of the commute, but the thought of having to do it all the time fills me with panic - and I would, as we would both need to continue in our jobs to buy a house at these prices. Him indoors keeps giving me the "I told you so" speech as he wanted to buy somewhere in Hastings 10 years ago and I said no. :blush:

I think I need to grow some and jump - or just quit looking! :whistle:

Krine

Postby Krine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi,

I do drive and sometimes, I do have to commute to London. I never tried it with the car, but I will be willing to try it in September since I will be commuting everyday (normally) the 3rd week of September. My car has got 3 seats. So if some of you want to give it go, why not.

By the way, first I did not intend to go into the center with the car, but after refecting upon it I think that is also possible. But I have no clue how/where the congestion tax is to paid then. But I guess I will have time to discover that,

Sylvie

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”