Those of you who commute to London-how is it really?

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
jules

Those of you who commute to London-how is it really?

Postby jules » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:11 am

I am now getting to the stage where this could be a reality! :w00t:

Those of you who actually do it - is it worth the schlep? Honestly and from actual experience? Not so much in the bleak midwinter; but when you can actually appreciate it in the summer and on a weekend, or weeks like this - ghost walk anyone? :)

Before any kind soul starts saying why would you; if I do want to make this a reality, I have to commute - otherwise we couldn't fund it. I must admit 20 years of 6am trains is quite daunting. My alternative is to drive - don't know if that is better or worse. Anybody got any opinions based on their experience?

The seas be ours and by the powers
Where we will_ _ _we'll roam

Herring_Gull

Re: Those of you who commute to London-how is it really?

Postby Herring_Gull » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Don't bother driving or the coach.

I have commuted every day for years and my only gripe is the expense. Buy your ticket from Bexhill to London and commute the usual Hastings to London route as it is cheaper.
It really depends on what you want out of your travel. You could work in the mornings and be one of those annoying ****s who whacks their laptop keyboard or caresses their clickety click crackberry (these types normally get on at Tunbridge Smells) or you could sleep / read a book and relax all the way in.

On the way home I watch a film / bbc catchup / read a book / sleep CPD etc. Others do more work.

It is reliable but when it goes wrong man it's bad.

jules

Postby jules » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:49 pm

[quoted]
Herring_Gull wrote:
Don't bother driving or the coach.

I have commuted every day for years and my only gripe is the expense. Buy your ticket from Bexhill to London and commute the usual Hastings to London route as it is cheaper.
It really depends on what you want out of your travel. You could work in the mornings and be one of those annoying ****s who whacks their laptop keyboard or caresses their clickety click crackberry (these types normally get on at Tunbridge Smells) or you could sleep / read a book and relax all the way in.

On the way home I watch a film / bbc catchup / read a book / sleep CPD etc. Others do more work.

It is reliable but when it goes wrong man it's bad.
[/quoted]

If you buy a ticket from Bexhill do you have to pay extra to get on at Hastings? Sorry if this sounds thick, but if we get the house we are after I will have a fair walk to the station_ _ _

I wouldn't be inclined to work on the train unless I could swing it that it was included in my working week allowing me to leave earlier - I don't love it that much!

Thank you - it is very useful to know that it is do-able over a period of years. :)

The seas be ours and by the powers
Where we will_ _ _we'll roam

Herring_Gull

Postby Herring_Gull » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Grey area with the tickets from Bexhill.

I was stopped for the first time to Ore tuther week "tickets please". "Oh" says he "this aint valid." He confirmed that the ticket does not say via Battle,Bexhill nor Ashford therefore it is valid on any route to London. The ticket actually states:

Between
Bexhill
Rouite/Also available at
NOT VALID ON HS1

He wondered off mumbling summit along the lines of "I'll have to look into this_ _ _"

Pick on those that pay 5K but don't pick on those that treat the line like a free taxi service eh.

Another route is the Hastings to Brighton evening out:
I've been to Brighton on my ticket (from Hastings) and there were a lot of Peak Capped ticket collectors each asking the next for clarification on did I have to pay extra. Each repeating it was a grey area. others, I have heard use the ticket all over South Eastern's extensive network. Some other ticket inspector said if I were to go to Brighton I should gets a Lewes to Brighton return.

Your ticket is valid to Hastings it just will not work at the barrier there.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”