Boarding Schools/on the the ridge or old london road

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
hsander

Postby hsander » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:52 am

I remember being a boarder in a convent which sent its pupils to the local authority school by day, it was I think on The Ridge, I think it was called Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, it was a big tudor manor house. Does anyone remember it or are my memories completely mixed up, I remember we used to also see pupils from another boarding school which wore gray uniforms, I draw a complete balnk trying to look for this place, weird!

patrickvic

Re: Boarding Schools/on the the ridge or old london road

Postby patrickvic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Perhaps you mean St.Mary's on the Ridge or the Convent in the Old London Road by Ashburnham Road and Dudley Road..I think you will have to be more specific,what years ? some indication of the locality ? I cannot find any school by that name but names do change over the years and a lot of these schools have been long gone_ _ _.

julia_oboyle

Postby julia_oboyle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:56 pm

There was a boarding/day school called Ledsham Court, which I attended from 1963. Dont remember much about it we had grey skirts and a striped blazer,

eleni_sander

Postby eleni_sander » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm

patrickvic wrote:
Perhaps you mean St.Mary's on the Ridge or the Convent in the Old London Road by Ashburnham Road and Dudley Road..I think you will have to be more specific,what years ? some indication of the locality ? I cannot find any school by that name but names do change over the years and a lot of these schools have been long gone_ _ _.

I think in was the convent at Sandrock Hall my memories are clouded as I didnt have a good time there it was run by a strict order of nuns.

elizabeth_jensen__nee_wilson_

Postby elizabeth_jensen__nee_wilson_ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:53 am

I was at a convent in Hastings called Sandrock Hall, located at The Ridge, Ore, Hastings. It was run by the Salesian nuns, a very strict order. We went on a bus to school at St. Mary's Star of the Sea and returned on bus to Sandrock Hall after school. It was very strict at the convent and I was quite miserable being there. Is this of any help?

susan_pearson

Postby susan_pearson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi there, I attended Sacred Heart Convent in Old London Road from 1959 to 1962. I remember there were girls in the school who were from Sandrock, although I didn't know what Sandrock was at the time! I particularly remember Angeletta who was in my class. Anyone else remember her? I think she broke her leg at one time and everyone wanted to sign her plaster cast!

brian_lennon

Re: Boarding Schools/on the the ridge or ol london road

Postby brian_lennon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 pm

I lived in Downs Road from 1947 to 1957 and used to serve mass on Sundays for the Salesian nuns and girls. I was very young and alweays thought it was an orphanage.
We had girls come to stay from Sandrock Hall at Henderson House to help look after the people who were convalesing.
When we left Hastings I donated my Hornby electric train set to Sandrock Hall. I wonder what happened to that

tony_crittenden

Postby tony_crittenden » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:29 pm

hello Brian,
I attended St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic School beneath the church on High Street. ( 1945 - 1951 - then to Hastings Grammar School).
Some of the pupils came from Sandrock Hall. The Nuns teaching us came from the Sacred Heart Convent on Old London Road.
Have been trying to get in touch with others who attended St.Mary S of Sea at that time and/or before it closed and transferred elsewhere but had no luck so far.
Tony.

brian_lennon

Postby brian_lennon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Hello Tony

I atteded the Sacred Heart convent up the hill from St Mary Star of the Sea from1946 to 1949 the went to St Josephs Salesian Prep School in Burwash. I then transferred to the Salesians in Farnborough but hated being a border and attended Hastings Grammer 1954 to 1956

Brian

chris_roycroft

Postby chris_roycroft » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:13 pm

hsander wrote:
I remember being a boarder in a convent which sent its pupils to the local authority school by day, it was I think on The Ridge, I think it was called Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, it was a big tudor manor house. Does anyone remember it or are my memories completely mixed up, I remember we used to also see pupils from another boarding school which wore gray uniforms, I draw a complete balnk trying to look for this place, weird!

The school was Sandrock Hall, The Ridge. I was a boarder too before they had their own secondary school which only lasted a few years boarders were sent out Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in town_ _ _ that's were you are getting muddled up. Sandrock Hall convent was a completely different order they were Saleasion nuns. We were only a small convent with only about 50 to 60 boarders at most. I have never managed to catch up with anyone from there yet. Just in case you recognize me my name then was Christine Strojecki. Would love to know your name and the years you were there. Chris

Return to “Schools and Colleges”