Barton School for Girls and Kindergarten ( No more)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
su_pearce

Re: Barton School for Girls and Kindergarten ( No more)

Postby su_pearce » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:08 pm

My mother attended Barton School from 1950 to 1956. She remembers names such as Erica MacIlwain, Christine Dengate, Sylvia Kane plus Joan and Stella but she can't remember their surnames. Joan possibly became a bank clerk, Erica's mother ran a wool shop. My mother's name was Kay Webb and her sister, who also attended, was Lynne Webb. The elocution teacher was Mrs Porche who I later did elocution with at her home in Bexhill on Sea.

Frances

Postby Frances » Sun May 18, 2014 7:29 am

Hello, I was at Barton school for few years before 1964 when I went to New Zealand, remember it fondly, the Misses Danns, the school lunches . Would love to catch up with the following :-Elaine Steele, LInda Buss, Anita Bishop , Felicity ?. We were friends with Jane Fisher and allowed to go to her funeral together. I caught up with Miss Foukes when she visited here many years ago now. My name was Frances Kitt.

Toni K

Postby Toni K » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:53 pm

I went to Barton School in the late 1950s - my name in those days was Toni Preston. Unfortunately I had to leave in 1960 as my family moved to Surrey. I remember the Miss Dann's and I remember a girl called Marcia and one called Anita. Somewhere I have a photo of us all in a nativity production at the White Rock! I also have a school report from Spring 1959 - I will see if I can upload it !

Nigelqkjackson

Postby Nigelqkjackson » Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 pm

I remember Toni Preston . You occasionally came back to my house for lunch along with Susan Everard. I too have the Nativity pic but site will not accept upload

Toni K

Postby Toni K » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Wow, Nigel Jackson, what a memory you have! Absolutely Brilliant! Yes I was friendly with Susan Everard.

Gail O

Postby Gail O » Mon May 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Just found this forum and thread today when I happened to be in a house whose garden ajoined the Barton school garden.
Googled Barton School and found this.
I was at Barton from 1959 to 1965 when I passed the 11 plus and went to Hastings High School.
I remember some of the names mentioned plus Diana Wenham, Sonia Hammond (?), Marcia Diamant....

My memory is appalling and no doubt some names will come back to me.
I had to walk to Mrs Reeves for lunch in St Matthews Gardens (once again a guess!).
I was known as Gay and my surname was Oswald.

Frances - was your Mother called Faye?

several

Postby several » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 pm

My dad attended Barton's Kindergarten from 1965 to 1968. :)

Gerald corbett

Postby Gerald corbett » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 pm

My name is Gerald corbett and myself and my twin brother Tom were at Barton school 1956-59.
We are are sitting here in a hotel in Hobart, Tasmania-Tom has lived in Melbourne for the last 35 years, and we googled Barton for old times sake. I live in Hertfordshire. Fond memories of the Dans, assembly,elocution lessons, lunch at the fosters, no sport. We both recall Gillian Coates ,the Bell twins,Wendy Wycombe,Nigel Jackson,robert brdger,Tony horrox,the Barkers, and more.
We are now in our mid 60's . Life has been kind, and it's good to look back

Gerald corbett

Postby Gerald corbett » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Did my post make it?
Gerald corbett

Gerald corbett

Postby Gerald corbett » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:28 pm

I have tried to post re jolly Barton experiences , memories of lunch at the fosters,Gillian Coates,robert Bridger, Tony horrox,the barkers,Nigel Jackson,the bell twins,and others. We live in Hertfordshire but as I type I am in Hobart,Tasmania,with my twin brother Tom, who has lived in Melbourne for the last 35 years. Many memories are flooding back.....
Gerald corbett

Return to “Schools and Colleges”