Moving to St Leonards

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
kerryc3

Moving to St Leonards

Postby kerryc3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:40 pm

I am thinking of moving to this area, but know very little about it. Would love to hear positive and negative views of the what is good about the town. Also where are the better areas. The town seems to have very few places to eat, is there a butchers etc. What is crime like? Is there much of a commuity?

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Moving to St Leonards

Postby Geoff » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi Kerry and welcome to the website.
Honestly, your best bet is to have a good look through the forum. There's tonnes of info on here from others that have contemplated and made the move to Hastings/St Leonards. Then you can ask if you would like to know anything more specific.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:16 am

There have indeed been a lot of posts about the town, there's good and bad as with everywhere! Some Londoners come here and don't like it because it's too slow and there is crime. Many others love the peace and feel ten times safer than in Peckham sidestreets late at night!

The only specific thing I would add is that you clearly haven't explored around very much yet. There are some lovely restaurants in the Old Town, not many good ones in the centre but Yates's, the Weatherspoon pub and the Pig in Paradise all offer cheap and good food. In St Leonards you are again rather spoilt - the Kassa cafe, the Love cafe and the Relax cafe are all excellent places and there are numerous other cheaper ones to hang out in and watch the sea.

Mick.

Postby Mick. » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:07 pm

Good post MJ.....wife spent the first 12 years of her life in Rotherhithe the next 10 in Lewisham...it's paradise down here compared to what it was like up there (she finds it amusing when types from places like Tunbridge Wells & Sevenoaks moan that its rough down here)...though like the Old Town things are a changing up there....Bermondsey, Rotherhithe, Lewisham etc are unrecognisable from the way they were in the 70-80's....places change all the time (including down here). By the way she nor I have any intentions of moving back.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Most people moving in from outside do so because they can get more for their money (my near neighbours used to live in Battle) and are prepared to put up with any rough edges here.
Also if you are buying you will probably need to spend money making improvements as a lot of the housing stock is Victorian (1870 - 1880) and has water-related damage from old roofing/firewalls or ground-level damp, decaying window frames etcetera.
There are plenty of places to eat, of course, and Butcher's, like anywhere else and lots of reasonably priced everyday items if you shop around at the numerous 'Pound Shops' and Supermarkets, but generally the price of food is the same as everywhere else.

A lot of people live on the margins and are not equipped to better themselves which is a shame as plenty of foreigners here seem prepared to work hard and make a go of it.
What are we doing wrong? We must think we are too good to start at the bottom of the ladder in a company whereas others set up their own small businesses and bring their families over to help out.
Hastings / St leonards has a large population on benefits and high numbers with medical and 'drugs' problems, and unemployment, this does not help the situation.
However, I'd say that there is a real sense of community and people with relatives keeping together, unlike the anonymity of life in London where casual friendliness is not apparent and people can easily become isolated.
So many events throughout the year, especially in the old town, to keep everyone happy that you will not want to miss.

roy

Postby roy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:11 am

Moved here from Yorkshire 5 yrs ago and love the place,it has its issues like most towns but by and large is a good place to live,it has some strange festivals and stuff but thats what makes its different,wouldn't want to live anywhere else now.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:31 pm

I agree with Roy's 'Classic' and apposite comment - it deserves repeating in Tourist brochures.
Certainly not your typical Genteel-Vicar's-Tea-Party, Sussex-Village-Morris-Dancers, type of Sunday afternoon 'entertainment' on offer here.
Nothing is boring, routine or predictable, Hastings 'knows how to party' and let it all hang out, long may it continue...

Kateee

Postby Kateee » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:25 am

I only recently moved here and am loving it. I haven't witnessed any crime but you will get stuff no matter where you are. If you don't know the area I would say visit and have a look around not just the town centre though. My children still haven't got schools here so if you have children apply as soon as possible.....I applied first week of January. The college has been brilliant for my older son, so that has helped a lot. I haven't met anyone other than next door neighbours yet but people say hello in the street.
For us its been a good move :D

Mick.

Postby Mick. » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:49 am

roy wrote:Moved here from Yorkshire 5 yrs ago and love the place,it has its issues like most towns but by and large is a good place to live,it has some strange festivals and stuff but thats what makes its different,wouldn't want to live anywhere else now.

Spot on there Roy, can't see ourselves leaving Hastings for anywhere else....not in the UK anyway.

Ali0141

Postby Ali0141 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 am

I'm getting excited about moving now!!!

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”