Photo Request - Broomgrove Power Station

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Gerry Glyde

Re: Photo Request - Broomgrove Power Station

Postby Gerry Glyde » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:27 pm

There is a book in Hastings Reference library of local Sussex stations. I am not sure if Ore is included. If memory is correct the signal box was on the same side as the ticket office.

lionelh

Postby lionelh » Tue May 31, 2016 9:03 pm

i worked at the gas turbine station and have a booklet with a picture of the turbine hall and control room i can send you copies but it is a CEGB publication so i dont know about the copyright about making it public, i ve got a detailed print out which we used to give out on open days if that would be useful to you

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi Lionel and welcome to the forum.
The booklet sounds very interesting. The CEGB was privatised in the 90's so unlikely anyone would be worried about copyright today. I think it would be very much down to you as the owner of the booklet whether you want to share it publicly or not.

Maria Assemble

Postby Maria Assemble » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Dear all

I am getting in touch from an architecture and art collective Assemble (www.assemblestudio.co.uk)

We are starting a new project in Hastings - working with the Heart of Hastings CLT to develop the old factory site in the Ore Valley into a community led mixed use scheme. The project is at very early stages, and we are trying to learn about the area, and have come across this great forum and the wonderful historic images people have been posting.

The CLT are hosting a small discussion event with some of the Ore Valley residents this Saturday, and we wondered if we could use some of the photographs of the old Broomgrove Power Station as a starting point for some discussion? We would of course credit the owner/photographer. Please let us know whats possible, and do not hesitate to get in touch if you would like more info.

Best wishes

Maria

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:17 am

You are welcome to use my photograph http://hastingsforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=364&mode=view as long as I get a mention and you make me world famous! ;)

A plug for this site would be good as well.

Richard Pollard

Postby Richard Pollard » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Maria,

Having worked at the Gas Turbine Station for some time I was not so forward thinking at that time to take photographs of the station inside and out, and I am sure that the other workers didn't record the past either in picture form as for most this was just a job.(Full stop).
The pictures which have been posted on the site were from my own collection, likewise with the vast amount I have of the old coal plant that occupied the grounds a little further down are all open for public use by request.
I have no objections what so ever as to you having copies of what is shown here as long as a credit for the photo's are given.
Copies can be obtained from the site Administrator via the link on these pages or straight from at my web address: http://www.richardpollard.co.uk using the contact form at the top of any page.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks for your interest.
Richard

Maria Assemble

Postby Maria Assemble » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Hello Richard

Thank you very much for writing back.

Will follow your instructions, cheers! Your collection is great, and also love the other historic photographs of Hastings.
If you are interested and have time, would be happy to tell you more about the project and say hello when we're in the area - looks like you may know the area very well.

Best wishes

Maria

Maria Assemble

Postby Maria Assemble » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Thank you very much Derek!
Not sure if my reply was posted, am new to this Forum

The photos is really great, and we will certainly credit you. :)

Best wishes

Maria

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:37 pm

It's sackcloth and ashes time!

I maintained throughout the discussions that I took the photograph from the Fortune of War pub in Priory Road. Today, I posted the photo in the Historical Hastings Facebook group and again, there was disagreement about the viewpoint. It was argued that the photo was taken from the top of one of the houses in the level part of Mount Pleasant Road, and then the penny dropped!

In 1967 (the time of the photo) I was living in a top floor flat in one of those houses. Checking on Google Earth, I could see that there is a direct line of sight from there to the site of those power stations. So, the viewpoint was the rear top window of 91 Mount Pleasant Road.

My apologies to those with whom I argued that black was white, and credit to Geoff, who defended me robustly, even though I was wrong (sorry Geoff!)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks Derek. Sometimes black and white turn into a bit of a grey area. We can put this little discussion to bed.

Return to “Historic Hastings”