The Pier Revisited

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

The Pier Revisited

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Most people seem to like the new Pier, especially in the sense that it is better than the dilapidated old one.
What strikes me is that, apart from the odd times that a fairground ride or two is visiting the pier, there is no place at all for small kids to have some fun.
I do remember seeing pictures of the pier in the early days when there was a round disc-like structure with coloured zones that kids could clamber on and be whizzed round with a rubberised fall zone to prevent injuries.
There is a similar small structure like this in the mini-golf end of the old town right now.
Surely some money could be found to put a few simple playground structures at the entrance to the pier? Something to bring people in and have some fun!! :D

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: The Pier Revisited

Postby Geoff » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Totally agree Richard, there is much that can be added in the future but I think all the allotted money (and much more) is spent. The pier should be seen as pretty much a blank canvas ready for the future. Let's see what the summer brings in terms of visitor numbers (and income) and where we stand in a year or so regarding future developments.

Your post reminded me of a photo I had waiting to be scanned. I think it's the same spinning disc you mentioned, although I can't tell if it has different coloured sections, looks like just varnished wood to me.

Known as the Joy Wheel, I have uploaded a copy to the gallery...

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:49 am

Hello Geoff,
I have not seen that particular image before and thought it must have been in the open air.
I believe it was erected shortly after the rifle range/bowling alley of 1912 and after searching for more images I now realise it was the large structure at the front of the Pier:

posted on Flickr with accreditation to Hastings Library photo collection:
Attachments
Joy w.png

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm

At least the kiosks have had a makeover and are now painted in candy-coloured stripes.
I think that is an improvement as black was a little too drab.
The only problem is they are mostly shut or selling 'tat', which is probably down to the costs of renting them (£2,500 - £3,500 per annum) and I guess if people have the money they can try their luck at selling what they want.
There could perhaps have been one selling fishing tackle stuff but the public can't just go along and fish as only organised events are permitted.

Return to “Locals have your say”