Site Move to HTTPS

Latest site updates posted here. All suggestions welcome!
Geoff
Site Admin

Site Move to HTTPS

Postby Geoff » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm

I am gradually moving the website to HTTPS (a secure connection, or the green padlock in layman's terms).

Please excuse any weird happenings while this is in progress (bits of pages missing etc). As i'm sure you'll appreciate the site is a monster in size and this is going to take a while to finalise.

The forum itself is done (believe it or not that was the easy bit) but everything else is a mixture of hand coded pages and some heavily modified scripts. Starting to wish i'd never started this but the whole internet is gradually moving that way so it needs doing to retain the site's long term visibility.

Derek Jempson

Re: Site Move to HTTPS

Postby Derek Jempson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:04 am

Well I never did! I hadn't noticed the https in the URL, or the padlock icon. Best of luck with the upgrade Geoff - I can imagine the amount of work involved.
Last edited by Derek Jempson on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:36 pm

I have little idea of the meaning of these terms.

However the important thing to say is a big thank you to Geoff for creating this site that all the ex-pat Hastingers can access from around the world :)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks guys, glad to hear the effort is appreciated.

I have now completed 75% of the upgrade. Everything on hastingsforum.co.uk and 1066online.com should now show as secure in your browser.

I will look to do the remaining 25% (hosted at 1066online.co.uk) later in the year. I am thinking the photo gallery is going to prove tricky so not really looking forward to it.

Do let me know if you spot any dead links or weird happenings when browsing around the site.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Having looked at this I think I am glad I am not having to get my head around it all!! :shock:

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi Geoff
Is there are reason why the box showing the latest posts that usually comes up is blank at present?

Gerry

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Excellent Gerry, well done. That's just the kind of thing i'm looking for. Definitely broken since the updates. I will add it to the list of bits to fix. Thanks for pointing it out.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:48 pm

It is back working by 6.30 albeit in a different font. Cheers

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Yes, sorted it. Had to use a different service to display the feed, but hopefully good enough to give you an idea of what's new.

If you spot anything else that's gone astray do let me know.

Thanks again Gerry

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:36 am

I've just had some difficulty in uploading an image for a post. If I used the "Attachments" dialogue I got a "yellow triangle" error, but I was able to upload it by dragging and dropping.

Return to “Website Updates and Suggestions”