hastings st. helen's road

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
sircyclealot

hastings st. helen's road

Postby sircyclealot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:37 pm

hi,

We are thinking of buying a property on st. helen's road, opposite Alexandra park.
The property was under offer last week and we couldn't get in but it seems it is back on the market. The property looks great (we only passed outside) but the road looked very busy.
I realise they will be resurfcing this road and it will be closed to traffic until december, so we have no way of gauging the noise levels during our viewing.
Can someone with local knowladge let me know how busy this road gets and what times?

Also is it possible to safely commute with a bicycle around hastings?
I am hoping to cycle with my kids and take them to school.
Everyone seemed to be driving when we visit, and the roads appear busy and narrow.

Thanks!

seahermit

Re: hastings st. helen's road

Postby seahermit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:05 pm

St Helen's Road is a main route into Hastings, so I would think it likely to be fairly busy much of the time. I'm long past parenting but, with young kids, I'm not sure I would go for a house on a main road. But depends on a lot of factors, maybe the house is nice, big front garden set back a little from the street etc.?

For cyclists, Hastings streets are not the nightmare that London is but still full of traffic much of the time. Taking children to school by bike on a regular basis doesn't sound like the wisest option. In town cyclists use the pavements and pedestrianised streets a lot (ongoing controversy about that!). But there is a very long cycle path along the seafront from the Old Town almost to Bexhill - great for leisure, but there are few other safe cycle routes in other areas.

But Hastings is small enough to get around if you walk! Maybe you need to consider relying on that more at times. Healthy, but of course may not be at all practical for ferrying young kids long-distance.

Hope that's of some help.

sircyclealot

Postby sircyclealot » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks that is really useful information!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 pm

SHR is a main road and therefore fairly busy, especially at peak times.
Many young couples with kids do live along the road, for the obvious benefits of the Park attractions, but clearly you must keep them under control at times.
Traffic is building in volume everywhere these days and the noise means you may want to consider double glazing at the front, it helps with the cold too in winter.
Cyclists are advised to wear head protection in the road but many just dodge along the pavements which can be hazardous to pedestrians.
The roads are not wide enough to allow cycle lanes, as far as I am aware.
There are some really very friendly people along SHR (plus the odd grump!).
:D

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”