Closing Down

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Mrs Ed Gein

Re: Closing Down

Postby Mrs Ed Gein » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 pm

I miss the linen shop too. Opposite the lighting shop is an empty unit. Two people have rented it but closed down within 6 months. I went in one day when it was a clothes shop and the owner was fast asleep on the till - didn't even know I had been in. Not sure how the new tattoo shop next door will do. Of course the new flats may bring a bit of custom. The ones at the back are going to be very dark and cold even with the extra large windows. Just think how much money the developer's going to make with that tiny patch of scrubland. Can't believe how many flats they're squeezing in.

roy

Postby roy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Stay positive,Primark is coming to town.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:33 pm

As for the new flats, I couldn't believe what a prolonged and messy plan unfolded in placing the foundations.
It seemed to have two phases, first the rear foundations, involving the biggest pig's ear of a messy operation I have ever witnessed and then a more coherent operation at the road frontage region, which was laid down more quickly and looked much better- organised.
Perhaps the first contractors were sacked and replace by more experienced ones?
Whatever the case the foundations have dragged on for many months and clearly got off to a poor start.

Not sure where Primark will go?

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Apparently this is where 'Primark' will go:

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/so ... stings-bhs

The old BHS shop in Priory Meadow Centre - that has to be a turn for the better.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Lets hope Council chief, Peter Chowney, can boast of a bright new future for the Harold Place public conveniencs he voted to close down and sell off recently, owing to the ongoing expense of keeping it open.
Admittedly it was a bit dismal and a hang-out for some fairly miserable alcoholics and druggies (still hanging out there) but it will take a major and costly redesign and a committment to make it pay as a new retail project. It seems there are enough empty premises wasting away already.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 am

The decision to close the Harold Place toilets was one of those mad ones that the Council makes from time to time. Every normal town has public toilets, these toilets were in constant use and the cost of maintenance can hardly have been enormous. Money instead has been wasted elsewhere: on erecting the Fish and Chips hut on the prom at Warrior square (now permanently closed), on the snack kiosk halfway between St Leonards and Hastings and on the larger one opposite the British Heart Foundation furniture shop. The last two of course have no weather protection and are completely unnecessary, with good cafes and restaurants all around, two even on the prom itself at Warrior Square.

There is no rational thinking which takes place where the Council is concerned.

However, the new kitchenware shop seems to be open on Queens Road! I noticed some Prestige cookware (an OK brand) and hopefully they may be stocking some other decent quality things, not as pretentious and vastly over-priced as the cookware in Debenham's. I will investigate further.

roy

Postby roy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Richard wrote:Apparently this is where 'Primark' will go:

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/so ... stings-bhs

The old BHS shop in Priory Meadow Centre - that has to be a turn for the better.

Yes Richard,im very happy with this news.

Return to “Locals have your say”