Bayeux Tapestry

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
ColinL

Re: Bayeux Tapestry

Postby ColinL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:21 am

The start date of the depiction predates 1066 and includes a visit that Harold made to Normandy at the request of Edward the Confessor it also covers incidents in a Norman battle against the Breton's in which Harold took part for William.

History is usually written by the victors and as a result must be considered in the lightnof that, however many of the issues were also recorded in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle and other non-Norman sources.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 am

Bias
The earliest reference to my family name has the prefix of 'Le' on it that indicates a Norman French origin. There was a names book in the local reference library decades ago when I found the information.

Last autumn I took a DNA test for family history purposes and discovered that the highest at 39 % of DNA was of Scandinavian origin, next Scottish and Welsh 37% and then almost last at 4% was English. As has been mentioned the Normans were 'Norse Men' ie Scandinavian. I can trace my family in the Hastings area to around 1500 so basically I come from a line of illegal immigrants who came over changing the language, building castles, catherdrals the Doomsday Book...........and life evolves into our wonderful mix

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Yes! The pictures of the tapestry also tells the story of the adventures of Duke Harold Godwinson, brother-in-law of King Edward the Confessor, who was shipwrecked in Ponthieu in 1064. Following his rescue by William, Duke of Normandy, Harold is shown swearing to support William in his quest to succeed Edward the Confessor as King of England - a promise which he was later to break. We then see Harold returning to England and being acclaimed as king after Edward's death.
This was a much-stated and major reason given to explain why the Norman Invasion was begun in the first place, although I suspect that this may have been 'fabricated'.
It is reported in only one other source - William of Poitiers' 'Deeds of Duke William', another Norman account, written some ten years after the conquest. The Norman version clearly needed this event to have happened - but a historian cannot be sure whether it did, or did not, take place.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm

As for DNA Ancestry forecasting, this is done by commercial firms and predictions are well beyond the science upon which current tests are based.
Immediate DNA testing is a different matter and can have a wide range of use, from paternity disputes to informing if you're predisposed to genetic-based diseases.
Information about your genetic makeup going back countless years in time, at the country level, is often dubious.

Think of it like this, you have two parents and they each have two parents, extrapolating back
you go from 2 to 4 to 8,....16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 and so on.
Two parents, four great-grandparents, and so on – very soon everyone runs out of ancestors and has to share them.
As a result, almost every Briton is a descendant of Viking hordes, Roman legions, African migrants, Indian Brahmins, or anyone else they fancy.”
Because their methodologies vary you will may get different results from different companies offering a forecasting service.
Commercial DNA tests that claim to tell people whether they are related to Richard III or descended from the Vikings are no more than "genetic astrology".
Such histories are either so general as to be personally meaningless or they are just speculation from thin evidence.
These claims are usually planted by the companies that provide these so-called tests and are not backed up by published scientific research. This is business, and the business is genetic astrology.

Likewise the adverts from the likes of Ancestry.com suggesting all you have to do is pay for a service and 'hey presto' without any leg work at all you will suddenly be presented with your family history, stretching way back in time,all by the pressing of a button is just suckering up to folk who are day-dreaming!

cbe

Postby cbe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 am

I've thought for a long time that these businesses advertising that they will tell you your precise background from your DNA were offering little more than scams. I have seen nothing to change my mind on that. Please be assured ColinL that I am in no way commenting on your belief about your background it is just that I have serious reservations about the majority of these businesses claims.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm

No offence taken cbe. I was only making a possible confirmation of a thought about my heritage and the earliest listing of my surname, a humourous aside to being "British" and immigrant. A recent Long Lost Family episode successfully used family history DNA database to unite two women who were both attempting to trace their mother neither of whom knew about the other. :D

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Slipping back to the location of the Bayeux Tapestry.
Looking at the siting of the 'Tapestry' where indeed could it be exhibited in Hastings?
The piece is exceptionally long, approximately the length of 3 swimming pools at 70 metres.
But only about 60 cm tall.

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am

So, somewhere long and very inviting - Bottle Alley ?

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 am

"So, somewhere long and very inviting - Bottle Alley ?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm

The basement hall of the White Rock Pavilion (is it still called that?)
Eng Heritage are talking about a sponsor to get a temporary purpose built place at the Abbey but it should be in Hastings

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”