Promenade Bike Lane

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
Richard

Promenade Bike Lane

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm

I see that the white cycle lane lines have been removed entirely along a stretch from Warrior Square region back down towards the Pier.
Does anyone know the reason for this?

seahermit

Re: Promenade Bike Lane

Postby seahermit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:09 am

As far as I remember, some work was carried out last year on the surfacing of the prom and a long stretch was closed off for a while. I noticed then that all the markings had disappeared, covered up by some temporary, rather loose surface which looked a bit like dry cement. It seems to have been sorted out, all firm and solid, but I haven't noticed whether the cycle lane markings have been replaced or not - obviously not! Nothing which is done in Hastings is done properly or seen through to the end unfortunately ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 pm

According to Hastings Urban Bikes:
The removal of the dedicated lane along the top of bottle alley was, according to Hastings Borough Council, all agreed as part of the pier apron shared space plan. From Warrior Sq, to the kiosk by the end of Robertson st, it will all be designated shared space, with signage on the floor and railings indicating this. The lines beyond Warrior Square will remain. We don't know if Sustrans are/were aware.
I now have to contact the council or local 'Rangers' from Sustrans to inquire further!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 pm

There is probably no other town in the UK where a designated cycle lane is shared with pedestrian traffic. To install a cycle lane on the prom was from the start an eccentric and controversial act, provoked a lot of criticism. To remove the lane markings (and not even be consistent - the markings begin again further along!) is completely crackpot. I just hope the local ambulance service will be able to absorb the extra demand ..

I have wondered a few times what I am doing living in a place like Hastings. The town somehow functions not because of management by the Council but DESPITE management by the Council ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:57 pm

I can report that I have always found it a little unsettling to be taking a relaxing stroll along the Prom and at the same time having to keep an eye out for bikes - it is okay but maybe not ideal.
Now the council want to encourage more Pier-vicinity relaxation and are working to that end although I haven't noticed any signs saying that the usage has altered.
The bike lanes were introduced when the Pier was in decline and now that greater visitor foot-fall is expected they want to encourage a safer environment for the (likely) increased pedestrian access.
There is a logic to this but perhaps it was all done without open public consultation and that would be a charge that can always be levelled at many councils, up and down the county, who seem to do many things autocratically.
What are the processes by which decisions are made and do we have a say?
The council is in place to make decisions on our behalf, that is a mandate on why they are elected.
However, all council meetings are open for public access, anyone is free to go along and listen to the debates.
Getting more involved is the only answer, contact your local Councillor for further information an any issues you feel are being handled badly or suffer the consequences.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Unfortunately, that is not how things work. As fas as I know, the decisions about the cycle lane markings were taken without any consultation at all - none which wete widely publicised anyway. That is quite usual for Hastings Council, numerous decisions have been implemented without consultation - or consultation is just a PR exercise and feedback from the community is disregarded.

Individual councillors seem to have little influence. The cabinet system ensures that decisions are often made behind closed doors and regardless of conflicting opinions from outside. One ex-Labour councillor recently described the Labour leadership in Hastings as a dictatorship. I am unable to judge the accuracy of that judgement, but it is an indication of the level of bad feeling from politically-minded people who feel powerless to actually influence anything.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 pm

I agree that many of the decisions of the council are made, and then acted upon, in the absence of any real public opposition/anger - or even in the face of it.
If there is any opposition the council carries on ahead, always seeming to find a way to push decisions ahead regardless.
The council is surely like a huge orchestra ranging over a very large field of responsibilities and has to act in the best interests of its citizens, operating under a wide area of legal requirements and duties, not to mention financial considerations and forward planning obligations.
Many Councillors hold ward surgeries (as do our MP's) where you can raise issues, but clearly councils have an agenda and although it can seem like a runaway train that is difficult to control, at times, grasping at hand-outs and searching for solutions in order to continue on its path, but there are opportunities to examine the inner workings.
I believe some just give up at the first hurdle, imagining a Kafkaesque bureaucracy that is both labyrinthine and complex enough to task ordinary mortals who choose to enter its portals.
Then, of course, there is the political dimension, with the current council leader, Peter Chowney and several other Hastings Councillors signing an open letter of allegiance to J. Corbyn and his cohorts of Momentum activists who have an agenda that may not be democratic at all.
Would a conservative-led council in Hastings provide more accountability and transparency?
I suspect not - even with Amber Rudd as Home Secretary we are still wedged between Scylla and Charybdis.

John B

Postby John B » Sun May 06, 2018 5:23 pm

The whole of the bike lane is now under threat due to the recent anouncement by the council leader to introduce a promenade tram.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri May 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Yes! Fascinating to see that a grant of £133K has been awarded for a 'trackless' mini-tram feasibility plan, I hope it doesn't all end up as another 'white elephant':

https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news ... -1-8484928

an earlier attempt ended in failure:

http://richardpollard.co.uk/hastings-st ... ure-trams/

roy

Postby roy » Mon May 14, 2018 9:09 pm

John B wrote:The whole of the bike lane is now under threat due to the recent anouncement by the council leader to introduce a promenade tram.

This is a real shame,all of us are encouraged to cycle and get fit yet they decide on this course of action. :roll:

Return to “Locals have your say”