Public Convenience at Harold Place

Looking for info on Hastings & St Leonards past times. Post here!
Richard

Public Convenience at Harold Place

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 pm

The old Toilets have now been almost completely demolished.
The council originally had ideas for a conversion of the old building into a restaurant - can you believe it?
Anyway it is a prime site and will be very interesting to see what is built next.

Derek Jempson

Re: Public Convenience at Harold Place

Postby Derek Jempson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 am

It wouldn't surprise me if the Council slapped a couple of Portacabin toilets on the site. I would be in favour of a small garden with seating, but it would probably be used by street-drinkers.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 pm

I suspect the council may want to encourage a business so that they can charge business rates and rent. An open air oasis and seating area sounds great but will perhaps attract the undesirables as you say Derek, however I have at least seen the police issuing beggars with warnings now and a second offence is probably taken more seriously.
Nuisance congregations of alcohol consumption by scary-type low-life should be taken seriously by police/wardens as they are a turn-off to tourist and paint a squalid picture of Hastings.
Attachments
toilets footprint latest.jpg

John B

Postby John B » Sun May 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Just a reminder that in 1986 on April 9 Hastings Council agreed to spend £240,000 on replacing the toilets at Harold Place with a ‘superloo’ resembling a Roman temple. Now they have demolished it was it value for money?

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 pm

John B - 30 years of use for £240k, there's been worse investments.

Richard - thanks for the pic, always good to record these things on the forum for future vistors.

Derek - yes the garden and benches would be nice, in an ideal world eh?

Latest rumour I heard is a restaurant is still the plan to be built there. Not sure I like the idea of sitting down for a meal where millions of people have been to toilet. Seems a bit weird, but that might be just me.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri May 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Demolishing a facility which some regarded as essential and only then starting to ponder what non-essential structure to put in its place - that seems about typical for the manner in which the council plan and manage the town! No wonder Hastings receives a few jokes from other parts of the country ..

Return to “Historic Hastings”