Pestered by Facebook!

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Pestered by Facebook!

Postby seahermit » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Just wondered if anyone knew their way around the (probably deliberately) complicated Privacy and Notification settings in Facebook. I don't use FB much but it's useful when I have taken some photos of the local jazz bands and want to share them with the band and other people who were there.

But FB seems to resent the fact that I'm not a frequent user! I get bombarded with "New friend suggestions" (usually people I have never heard of and living in the USA ..) or notifications about Fred Bloggs changing his profile photo .. I have turned off a lot of the options but can't find a way to stop these particular nuisances.

I don't know how Snapchat or the other apps compare with FB for my fairly superficial level of "social networking" but everyone seems to use FB for keeping in touch with the local music events.

Richard

Re: Pestered by Facebook!

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:42 pm

"People you may know" is a little spooky/annoying too.

Click on your name at the top of the page, then Activity Log, and set the filter to Friends. Use the gear menu and uncheck the places where you do not want friend activity to appear. The only way to stop Facebook notifying your friends of your friendship changes is to make your friends list private.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks Richard. The FB Settings are extremely complicated and I have noticed that they keep changing from time to time (to confuse people further maybe ?). I couldn't find the way to change the filter to Friends but I did manage to change a few more settings allowing in Notifications about those friends' activities which I am not remotely interested in.

I would still like to stop Notification emails about "Friend Suggestions" and "People you may know" - I get dozens of them, often the same persons repeated over and over, and it drives me mad.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:19 am

seahermit,

This is the latest link I have found that deals with the myriad ways in which FB can pester you.
Incidentally this sort of thing (find friends and keep in touch, etcetera) is, allegedly, one of the ways that terrorists have used to link up and form networks:

https://www.howtogeek.com/343231/how-to ... nd-emails/

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for that, Richard. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, been extremely busy. Amongst other things, started doing a bit of travelling - so the last thing I want is a load of un-necessary FB messages cluttering up my phone!

Return to “Technology Chat”