Queens Road re-visited

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Queens Road re-visited

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 pm

New Art Gallery 'Sea Spray'
New Cafe 'Cook works'
New smart looking Deli, New Chef's Emporium, New Phone shop.
Morrison's expansion
Pub improvements - Microbrewery.
Chinese Supermarket.

After the surge in property prices in the last couple of years Hastings seems to be attracting all manner of fresh talent. It is not enough just to open a greasy-spoon cafe you now have to make it all-singing and dancing with some cutting edge art for sale perhaps even made by the owner who also runs the cafe and cooks and serves the food...

seahermit

Re: Queens Road re-visited

Postby seahermit » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:18 pm

The way it's going, won't be long before Queens Road looks like Bond Street. Well .. if Bond Street has a run-down shabby end, that is!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 am

seahermit,
I agree re- some of the shabby stuff.
Perhaps Grotbusters could be invoked, especially for Errol's the Kebab joint with its tatty signage.
Also I will ask if more pavement bins can be provided or emptied more frequently as they are always over-stuffed and disgraceful, especially outside Santander.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 am

I have now sent the following to Godfrey Daniel, Labour County Councillor – Braybrooke & Castle, Hastings:

1. Could we ask Grotbusters to run a check down Queens road and post relevant notices through any run-down scruffy frontages? I think Errol's the kebab shop looks very distressed with its fading signage and there may be others.

2. The number of roadside bins has been much reduced lately, the one at the St Helens / Queens Road rail bridge / plumbers showrooms went some time ago, also the one opposite Bethune pedestrian death-leap, just on the roundabout.
A new bin replaced the old one at the Imperial Pub, that has now been removed too for some unknown reason.
My main gripe is the bin at the pavement roadside at 'Santander' (opposite M&S) this is far too small and often stuffed to overflowing.
It either needs more frequent emptying or further capacity added somehow.

Godfrey has sent the above complaints to the relevant council departments and we'll see what they have to say.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:54 am

Good for you! More people should be proactive in sending suggestions or complaints to the council but I suppose there is scepticism as to how much attention it really gets before it hits the waste bin!

I agree that the locating of rubbish bins seems somewhat arbitrary and several in strategic places seem to have disappeared. There used to be one near the old cook's shop in Queens Road, in fact there seem to be hardly any in Queens Road.

Why are the bins black? Apart from being a dismal colour instead of something bright and cheerful, they are also hard to spot in a bad light!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:56 pm

I think we need to seek a detailed explanation / policy for the reduced number of roadside litter bins at the Santander location opposite to M&S, as detailed.
To be fair businesses may change and on a narrow frontage near to places such as 'Santander' the placement of litter bins may be problematical.
Should there be litter bins at all in front of food shops such as Chinese Supermarkets or Banks? Why not put them in another location where they are not an eyesore or nuisance to pedestrians?
Do we have to stuff them on the narrow pavement of high footfall?

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Okay, so I have revised tht and sent the following:

Hello Godfrey,

Thanks very much for pursuing all my recent complaints.

I think we especially need to seek a detailed explanation / policy for the reduced number of roadside litter bins, especially across from M&S, as previously detailed.
To be fair businesses may change and on a narrow frontage near to places such as 'Santander' and the latest location of the Chinese Supermarket, the placement of litter bins may be problematical.
Should there be litter bins at all in front of Banks? Why not put them in another location, where they are not an eyesore or nuisance to pedestrians?
Do we have to stuff them on the narrow pavement of high footfall near Santander?
There should be plenty of room near to the old Harold Place Toilets next to Jempsons,
Bins down there cannot be more expensive than having to service a public Toilet building.
Also why not have local businesses sponsor something other than stark black litter bins.
There must be plenty of more colourful, child-friendly bins available too.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:32 am

I'm behind you on this, there are all sorts of issues which people would probably like to raise wth the council but are there any real channels of communication? The "public consultations" are of course a nonsense and a PR exercise but, maybe if enough individuals challenged the council over grumps and gripes, the council would realise it had to be more responsive.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Godfrey (Councillor) received the following response from Cameron Morley, Waste and Cleansing Services Manager, Hastings Borough Council.

"The bin at Santander was one that was moved from outside of the Chinese Supermarket about 3 shops up. This was due to trade waste issues and the bin is the correct size. Any larger and it would obstruct the pathway. It is less used now than it was at its old site due to the fall in trade waste being placed within it. The bin itself is emptied daily, but we will chase Kier to make sure they keep on top of it.
The other litter bins were removed due to constant misuse- domestic and trade waste was being placed next to the bins every single day. We monitored the situation over numerous weeks and were unable to identify the guilty parties. The biggest problem with this is that our contractor was charging us a considerable fee every day to clear up this mess, hence the bins were removed, which seems to have eradicated the issue.

I hope that makes sense, give me a call if you need any further information.

Cam".

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:47 am

Quite a decent response and obviously some things going on here which the casual person wouldn't be aware of.

I actually sympathise with the council to some extent because articles (quite often useless junk) are dumped outside the HARC charity shop halfway down Queens Road. In the same way that furniture, bits of beds and junk constantly get dumped along the pavement between White Rock and Eversfield Place. Almost every night! In a week or so you could furnish your flat with it all ... It's sheer laziness by some people, hard to know how to stop it happening except with loads of street cameras and wardens/police looking out.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”