Princes Road

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
pinkmrsb

Princes Road

Postby pinkmrsb » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:52 am

Hi there,

What is anyone's opinion of this little enclave between Villa Road and Victoria Road, 2 roads behind Eversfield Place? It's a great location for the sea and seems nice to me. Have heard it described as a bit dodgy. In London terms that means up and coming to me! And Stanhope Place/Mercatoria - obviously this area is very nice but has it reached it's peak financially and over priced? Actually not near a station either... thoughts?

Richard

Re: Princes Road

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:59 pm

I don't know those areas but doubtless seahermit does.
As for prices at a peak or not the issue now seems to be that there is very little on the market as people are apprehensive about Brexit.
A sort of Brazilian standoff, no one willing to sell and people wanting to buy may distort the market even more.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:13 am

The two roads mentioned are side-roads off Church Road - a long road going northwards up to Bohemia. At the top end, on the corner, is Lidl - handy, cheap and saves a longer journey to one of the other supermarkets. I myself am not keen on Church Road itself, it seems a bit scruffy with wheely-bins permanently stationed along the pavement in places, but maybe the side-roads are a bit nicer.

Stanhope Place and Mercatoria are infinitely nicer and cleaner, a number of owner-occupied cottages and a fair number of flats - I lived for a while in an attractive second-floor flat in Stanhope Place, direct sea-view and near the old Horse and Groom pub. The walk to the station takes just ten minutes, a small price to pay. I think property prices probably are higher there but it's worth it - the atmosphere of that whole area is pleasant and safe-feeling.

Not sure what you are planning but for renters the best time to go flat-hunting is after Christmas. Nobody much likes moving home at that time of year, so rents are lower and more places are available - I have moved several times in the early part of the year and done well price-wise! House/flat prices may follow the same pattern, I don't know, the market seems very variable at present depending on area. There WERE recently several really nice cottages for sale around Gensing Road, North Street, Norman Road - worth checking out.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 am

Well, seahermit, I found that both interesting and useful, thank you.
Always helpful to have an overview.
It is good to be in an area that ticks all the boxes but these days you have to see what is on the market first, consider your budget and take it from there.
My bugbear is noise and pesky neighbours but you can have these in seemingly perfect areas.
My ideal would be a detached property close to the sea but I would need to be a millionaire.

No harm in seeing what is out there, online or otherwise!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks for that. (Wonder if the original poster found it so helpful .. ?!)

Hastings/St Leonards is a very mixed, variable area. Really nice streets can be close to quite scruffy, dodgy ones. Down this end, west of London Road, it tends to be quieter and the lovely sea is just down the road.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”