Ferris Wheel

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
Richard

Ferris Wheel

Postby Richard » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:43 pm

A new attraction that looks good at night - illuminated!

https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news ... -1-8887446

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Ferris Wheel

Postby Geoff » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Hastings Eye? Really? It needs to be twice that size to be a real attraction. Still alright for Hastings though.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:22 pm

I am as usual suspicious of half-hearted attempts to be ambitious and ape things which are done much better by other towns and cities, instead of concentrating on what is unique about Hastings and the historic quaintness which tourists come here to enjoy.

But it could have its uses. Would it be possible to rope some of the Councillors into the topmost seats .. and leave them there? Then, from on high they might be able to spot the number of homeless tramps trying to survive around the town and they might think that they should do something about it.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:32 pm

I am much more interested in the historic military vehicle event on Sunday (caught my eye in passing). Nobody trying to make cash out of cheap attractions, just some enthusiastic volunteers doing something worthwhile and beneficial:-

An amazing procession of military vehicles is set to make an impressive display on Hastings seafront when it rolls into town on Sunday April 14. The Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society hold the Sevenoaks to Hastings Military Road Run each year. This year they will be commemorating the 110th anniversary of the first occasion a body of troops was moved on operations by motor transport with a road run from Sevenoaks to Hastings.

In March 1909 the AA and the War Office organised the transport of 6oo Guardsmen from London to Hastings, carried in motor cars owned by members of the AA. This will also be 11th consecutive year of the AA Commemorative Military Road Run is open to Military Soft skin vehicles and Motor Cycles in use by British Forces from 1909 to the present day, as well as Veteran, Vintage and Classic cars and motor cycles up to 1945. Traditionally some 60 vehicles take part, leaving from at 10am from Sevenoaks Suffolk Way Car Park, to travel through Tonbridge and Pembury and down the A21, with a stop at the Chequers Inn in Lamberhurst, then on to Hastings. The vehicles will then be on display to the public at the Stade Exhibition area (on the sea front near the Old Town). First arrivals are expected from 11.30am and will be staying to approximately 3.30pm.

The run is being organised in aid of Combat Stress, who celebrate their 100th anniversary this year, and is supported by the AA.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Got an image of the event on Sunday at the Stade. Looks fascinating.
Attachments
image[2].jpg

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 pm

I think the small Ferris wheel is just about right for Hastings, its not supposed to be anything intellectual or historic and shouldn't have to be.
It will only be here for 5 years - that's the plan.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:30 am

Yes, I think the Ferris wheel is probably about right for Hastings. It would be really nice to have something happening which was intellectual or historic, or even just intelligent, but unfortunately the best that Hastings can manage is often cheap and tacky. I am not decrying the amusements, this is a seaside resort where some people want to come and just have fun, done all of that myself. But is that ALL a town can offer? There is more to life than a fairground, it would be great to have a poetry festival here again or some really good live folk/rock/jazz music instead of the endless "tribute" bands at the White Rock Hotel.

We have been discussing this in the pub tonight. It is quite sad how Hastings appears to have dried up culturally, become very shabby-looking and the pubs horrible. In Weatherspoons, the youths were putting their feet up on the tables, throwing litter down onto the floor and bringing in a six-foot high pink sex-doll (explicit one too). What sort of management are even allowing such people in?

A number of people I used to know have moved away and others don't go near the town centre at night. I think that process will accelerate unless Hastings pulls itself up a bit and my own mixed feelings about Hastings are moving towards making some changes ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:03 pm

C'mon Seahermit, we all have a gripe at times but you know full well that there are many events of a more intellectual nature on offer in Hastings.
Hastings was always a place for groundbreaking issues to be aired.
Suffragettes, working men's rights, the list goes on.

'Litfest' (I hate the abbreviation!) is an annual event showcasing poetry, literature, etcetera.

http://hastingslitfest.org/

You have the KIno Cinema in St. Leonards.

There are platforms for people to air matters of importance, a bookshop in Queens Road that display titles above the LCD norm.
A cafe for intellectuals to hold group discussions, in Queens Road.
White Rock for Opera, International Piano Competitions.
Chess Tournaments, Writers groups: http://hastingswriters.co.uk/
Jazz festivals - the list goes on...

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:17 pm

There is not really a lot going on currently in Hastings.

The Hastings Writers are longstanding of course, but quite a formal group with a waiting list and a heavy annual subscription. Not at all likely to attract a casual interested passer-by off the street.

The cafe in Queens Road is quite big and spartan, not that cosy. Do events take place there? There is never any info posted in the window and I notice that usually there are very few customers in there

There are a very few annual events. There used to be a poetry recital night at Bookbuster's but that seems to have died.

I noticed whilst browsing Ramsgate, which I was quite impressed by last summer, that there are several thriving poetry and writers groups meeting in different pubs - EVERY week. That's the difference.

If I had the time, I'd start something of my own - worked well once before, but it's labour intensive! And with the nicer weather I'm getting itchy feet again, want to explore the UK. With notebooks in bag.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:46 pm

I noticed this poster in Queens Road:

interesting.JPG

Besides the intellectual stuff there is some beautiful countryside to relax in.
If you feel isolated there are groups to help.
Otherwise vote with your feet and take trips out - sounds like a good idea.

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”