Ferris Wheel

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
seahermit

Re: Ferris Wheel

Postby seahermit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:50 pm

Sounds a bit desperate! If men want to "get together to talk and listen to one another" but don't seem to have any preconceived idea of what they want to talk about, wouldn't the pub be more congenial?!

If I found that I was being judged when I talked, I wouldn't be wasting time on those sort of people again ..

It's nothing to do with isolation. I have a busier life than many people. It's to do with the nature of Hastings as a town. There ain't many places to go and have a really fulfilling intellectual break (we all need that at times) and that's just the way it is.

Ed209

Postby Ed209 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:19 pm

The ferris wheel is the first fun and interesting attraction for families and day trippers for years in Hastings.
The Jerwood gallery is of no interest to most day trippers and local residents.
The council should have put the money into a modern ice rink, 10 pin bowling ally and swimming pool complex.
The ice rink would draw people to the town year round, especially if they could get a hockey team started .
Summer fields just needs demolishing, it is beyond refurbishment.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 pm

seahermit you do not pay attention.

The poster invitation did not say "but don't seem to have any preconceived idea of what they want to talk about" that is your prejudicial comment.

As for your remark "If I found that I was being judged when I talked, I wouldn't be wasting time on those sort of people again .."

The poster said "without judgement"
And also, who are these sort of people you are so disdainful of?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:22 pm

What point exactly are you trying to make?

My remark is not "prejudicial comment". It is stating the blindlingly obvious - that, well-meaning as the group may be, if they don't appear to be meeting for any particular purpose or for any particular age group etc., that is hardly going to draw the crowds in .. Go yourself, give it a try and tell me what a wonderful evening I have missed.

The current fashion is to judge and denigrate the character of anyone who has different views to oneself, be they political, religious or whatever. Hence all the abuse, threats and hate on social media. Britain was built on tolerance and free speech - I hope we will return to that some day.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Condemning out of hand and being snobbish about the characters in Hastings is just wrong.
I treat everyone as equal and throw a friendly line out which usually evokes a warm response.
Nobody said that the Hastings platform was going to draw in the crowds like 'Speaker's Corner'.
Far better that outlet than the bullying that goes on online as you have just mentioned.

I get the strong impression that many of the characters you disdain have a lot more beneath the (rough) surface than you might imagine.
You seem to think that people must be nice if they are nice looking. (Wine Bar in Robertson Street post).
You couldn't be further from the truth.
OK so we all like good-looking people at times but 'mates' are very important too.
If you have 'mates' you will do (almost) anything for them - it's a bond that some don't adhere to so you give them the swerve but don't judge people on looks alone, that is a fickle business.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:21 pm

I am still not at all clear about what important point you are trying to make, apart from having a go at me of course.

I am friendly with numerous people in Hastings, many of whom are far rougher in dress and manner than you or me .. at the end of the day, if they treat me ok, I will respond in the same way.

But you pick up on one or two superficial remarks of mine and come out with a lot of rubbish about my attitude ..

One of my disdains is for people who don't bother to sit down and think out clearly what they are saying, before starting to proclaim.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 pm

seahermit, I just posted originally about the Ferris Wheel.
I did not intend to invite discussion on what you see as a lack of intellectual events in Hastings, a town which you declare has dried up culturally.
We can all be negative at times but I think Hastings is a great little town, despite it's faults.
If you make superficial comments then of course you merit a rebuttal.
It's not a personal attack or having a go at you, just an attempt to make you think first before you shoot.
I know you are really quite funny and light-hearted so let's hope we can swing the conversation in a more positive manner in future.

Aye,

Richard

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat May 04, 2019 2:14 pm

Having had my rants about some aspects of Hastings, I can actually redress the balance a little!

I happened to be down Queens Road last night, had noticed previously that the Drift In Bar seemed popular at the end of the week. Decided to pop in and was knocked over by how nice it was. Cosy, clean, friendly bar with good and unusual wines and 23 different gin drinks. Several competent musicians performing - it reminded me of the folk/blues clubs I used to go to in London.

An oasis in the midst of the takeaways and the general scruffiness of Queens Road.

An article in the Hastings Independent Press relates to a proposed revamp of the town centre funded by yet another government handout. Having seen how the council has destroyed the soul of the town centre with unlet office blocks and empty boarded up buildings, I am extremely uneasy about future development.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue May 07, 2019 11:10 am

The 'Drift In Bar' used to be called 'Bar None', It was always low-key and boring.
It looks smarter now but I have not visited yet.

The other re-vamp nearby is 'The Fountain' - now called 'The Fountain on Queens'.
This was also shabby, low-key and boring, I hope it is now more interesting!
Independent ownership, formerly Shepherd Neame and Whitbread before that.

A particular renaissance has taken place around the Morrisons end of Queens Road, which some are now referring to as the ‘Queens Quarter’.
The Eel and Bear bottle shop, in Waldegrave Street, by St Andrews Square, offers one of the best selections of local and imported craft beers in the whole of the South East, while 'Queens Deli' has a well-deserved reputation for its food range and salt-beef sandwiches...

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”