Gluten-Free

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
seahermit

Re: Gluten-Free

Postby seahermit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:21 am

Ah, I wasn't sure if you were bere being a bit dismissive of all this! But you have now filled in some of the scientific basis and have indeed put your finger on the nub of the problem. Some theorists have levelled the blame at wheat - a relatively recent food, man was really a hunter-gatherer etc. but that argument has always seemed erroneous to me. Wheat has indeed been around for millenia and it is not the food which is to blame but the highly industrialised, processed way in which it is treated.

There are several strands to this, for instance traditionally people had a more mixed diet, more fruit, nuts fish,, other natural foods, than many people seem to eat these days. And poor people couldn't even afford wheat flour, things like acorn flour were common. All contributing to a more varied diet than the modern one and not a heavy reliance on bread, cakes, biscuits, pastries. A lot of the convenience food sold in takeaways and burger joints is pure junk, fill-you-up stuff but no nutritional value whatsoever. No wonder mankind is paying a price in health terms!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Well, certainly kids given too many sweets and sweet drinks can be seen in Morrisons behaving in a hyperactive manner, this is more prevalent than ever and may account for their uncontrollable friskiness!
As a country we push far too many sugar-laden concoctions at children and this is not healthy and accounts for premature tooth decay, and more.
Or they are stuffed with burgers and very salty chips as a 'pacifier' treat at local chain emporiums that cannot be too healthy either.

I'm still mulling the GF issues as I am not at all affected but there must be something in it.
More research is still needed and scientific results consulted before assuming that GF is the only issue.

danrika

Postby danrika » Wed May 01, 2019 1:58 am

I still do not understand what harm gluten can cause to a person without gluten intolerance

danrika

Postby danrika » Wed May 01, 2019 1:35 pm

That's just a new trend. Gluten is totally harmless for most the people on earth. Sellers benefit from coming up with new trends, now they can make money on gluten-free products.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri May 03, 2019 1:46 am

I don't see that anyone here has suggested that gluten itself is generally harmful. It has been clearly stated that just some people have developed an intolerance to gluten - the digestive problem is made worse in highly processed foods where maybe the gluten becomes more concentrated.

High consumption of sugar (a form of gluten) is a separate problem - diabetes, heart problems, overweight, skin problems. It has all been well-documented. Eat natural and be healthier.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri May 03, 2019 6:44 pm

I see it as gluten being something that is either an allergic reaction issue, which is serious or intolerance, the latter meaning you can tolerate low levels but too much upsets your stomach.
But additionally that older people can probably benefit, even if they have neither of the above because gluten-free is easier to digest for an ageing or sensitive stomach, i.e. G-F can take the pressure off a little.
In the same way lactose-free milk is easier to digest and sensitive or older stomachs have less work to do in processing it.
Lactose-free milk is now my preferred choice, a little sweeter but less heavy on the stomach.

To what extent manufacturers of G-F food or L-F milk are hyping the benefits is another matter.
Carbohydrates consist of sugar, easy to digest, whilst gluten is a group of proteins.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat May 04, 2019 1:50 pm

You seem to be right, I thought sugar was a form of gluten but not so - obviously all more complicated than that.

I am not sure there are "levels" of intolerance of gluten - you can either digest it or you can't. It is not a stomach "upset", it is a failure of the enzymes in the gut to break down the protein in gluten. If some older people are having problems digesting some foods, that may mean they are experiencing some gluten intolerance.

Separately, if I scoff too many bananas (high in sugar) and some other very sugary foods, my digestion suffers and my skin develops rashes. I'd like someone to tell me why ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat May 04, 2019 10:49 pm

"if I scoff too many bananas (high in sugar) and some other very sugary foods, my digestion suffers and my skin develops rashes. I'd like someone to tell me why .."

You may be intolerant of too much sugar which can cause all those symptoms.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat May 04, 2019 11:22 pm

You are wonderfully astute, in deducing that I may be intolerant of too much sugar. Since I had already stated that ..

How about a more thoughtfully considered reply to the question I posted?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun May 05, 2019 3:53 pm

The acid tongue of seahermit slippeth out once again.

With coeliac disease the proteins in wheat, barley and rye elicit an autoimmune disorder in sensitive individuals and can eventually destroy the cells lining the small intestine.
Coeliac disease is a common digestive condition where the small intestine becomes inflamed and unable to absorb nutrients.
It can cause a range of symptoms including diarrhoea, abdominal pain and bloating.
Coeliac disease, then, is caused by an adverse reaction to gluten.

In coeliac disease, the immune system mistakes substances found inside gluten as a threat to the body and attacks them.
This damages the surface of the small bowel (intestines), disrupting the body's ability to absorb nutrients from food.

Some people have gut symptoms when eating foods with ingredients containing gluten, ie wheat, barley and rye, even if they don’t have coeliac disease. This is sometimes called non coeliac gluten sensitivity.
Questions remain unanswered, including whether the gluten-mediated effect is an all-or-none or a dose-related phenomenon and what part of the gluten is responsible.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”