EU Elections

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Ed209

EU Elections

Postby Ed209 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Im looking forward to the elections next week, watching all the self serving, corrupt, dishonest MP's squirm.
It never ceases to amaze me when they call themselves democrats but the votes of the little people don't count as we didn't know what we were voting for!
No doubt they will ignore the result when it doesn't fit in with their own agendas.
And then what?

ColinL

Re: EU Elections

Postby ColinL » Sat May 18, 2019 7:10 pm

By 'corrupt and self serving' do you I wonder, include NigelFarage? Supposed champion of British fishermen, appointment as a member of the EU fisheries body but who only attended 10% of their meeting; who swans into the EU parliament makes a brief speech often insulting colleagues and then walks out again. And has a regular radio show (I think a few hours every week) in London; is also a paid TV pundit for a right wing USA channel travelling there regularly, yet claims to be skint as there is no money in politics. As revealed this week, on top of all that money, has the use of a London town house all bills paid and a smart car and chauffeur.

Luckily I understand that the EU managed to recoup some 200k Euros from him recently.

I am sure that there are many MEPs of the mainstream parties who claim legitimately and do good work for their constituents, whilst the fringe right partiesans a minority of the others are not acting as public servants
Last edited by ColinL on Mon May 20, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Our position as a democracy has been undermined over Brexit.
That much is certain.
We all have differing views and so an elected democratic government of the day tries to work for the majority who voted it into power..
A slim majority voted 'leave' in the last referendum (not all the people who voted necessarily supported the government in power today) and yet the government, in power, sought to apply a 'leave with conditions attached' that neither Labour nor Conservatives could agree upon.
Something is wrong if even a 'leave with conditions' cannot be agreed upon (not least inside the government in power today) and some will therefore suggest that our elected representatives are not fit for purpose.

Some in the opposition demand another referendum, despite Corbyn voting many times previously to leave the EU.
I think the people voted one way and the government (of either party) simply cannot deliver it.
I am not at all sure that terrorist attacks will be related to this impasse but civil unrest seems a worrying possibility if the majority votes are 'fudged' because people voted for something that is seen by the government (of either party) to be bad for business.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat May 18, 2019 10:24 pm

The twists and turns of events in the Commons, all the infighting by self-seeking factions defending their own corners, have bored me into cynicism and apathy and I have ceased to follow the complex details.

Parliament is supposed to have some morality and to endeavour to represent the views and wishes of the electorate which put them into power. Er yes, well ... not much evidence of those things currently. The referendum produced a small but decisive democratic vote for changing the direction of the UK and leaving the EU. Many MPs seem bent on ignoring or circumventing that vote by any means possible which has indeed resulted in a great deal of confusion and anger and the continuous infighting has done irreparable harm to the population's respect for government.

Not a straight answer to the statements made above but I for one have decided that, if Brexit does not happen, I will never be wasting time on voting in future elections. Makes little difference to anything!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat May 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Nigel Farage I cannot properly make out. I myself quite like his straightforward manner and determination to pursue clearly defined objectives. I can understand why some people mistrust him and his motives - but many politicians are pretty well-off, have smart town houses, chauffeurs etc., that's why they don't understand how ordinary mortals on benefits in scruffy Hastings have to live! There are much more cynical and self-seeking politicians than Farage, but time will tell whether he is a cardboard cutout or is really capable of achieving anything worthwhile.

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 pm

This morning I actually got to meet my MEP on a walkabout in Wellingborough. He was in fact elected in 2015 as a UKIP MEP but has now switched to Brexit. What was interesting was the number of local councilors and others also present who have switched allegiances to the Brexit Party, not just Conservatives and UkIP. In my area the three local MP's are all hard Brexit Conservatives and it seems quite likely that if a General Election were to be called this year that all three will either join the Brexit Party or enter into an agreement with the Brexit Party not to compete against each other. I understand that Stephen Lloyd in Eastbourne and Maria Caulfield (Lewes) are in a similar train of thought. I wonder what Amber Rudd will do...probably what is best for Amber Rudd!!!

It will be very interesting to see what percentage of the popular vote the Leave Parties (Brexit/ UKIP) get compared to the massed armies of the Remoaners.(LibDems/Greens/SNP). There are bound to be a number of Labour and Conservative voters who despite being Leavers will in fact stay loyal to their party so their votes will not show up in favour of Brexit. I am predicting Brexit getting at least half the 72 MEP's and the popular vote being much the same as in the Referendum.
I am looking forward to an enjoyable late night on sunday as the results are declared something rather more hopeful than when watching Euro Song Contest last saturday.

cbe

Postby cbe » Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Just one or two points on the 'Brexit' vote. It was a binary choice - Leave or Remain. The PM of the day stated clearly that whatever the result the government would act on it etc etc. Ever since the 'wrong' decision came about there has been a conscious and determined effort to overturn the vote. It is NOT difficult - that is just another excuse put forward by Remainers.
We also hear that it was a narrow victory - so? Have a look at the margin for setting up the Welsh Assembly - no one complained at all, just went ahead with the decision reached. I keep
hearing MPs and their MSM mouthpieces talking about the need for compromise ??? I repeat, a binary choice -a decision was made. I wonder if the result had gone the other way whether there would have been any talk of compromise?
Last of all - for Seahermit - a lot of people say they won't vote again because our masters ignore the results if they don't like them. That is not the answer - not voting just ensures they stay in power and continue doing what they like. There needs to be a concerted effort to get every undemocratic MP out of the Commons and indeed out of any and every democratic body. Any MP who tries to thwart this result (and that is most of them) has proven themselves to be undemocratic. Don't get mad (or despondent) get even !

Ed209

Postby Ed209 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 am

As far as I can see Amber Rudd only has one thing going for her in the next general election and that's Jeremy Corbyn!
She certainly doesn't reflect the views of most of her constituents.
I suspect she will manage to jump on the gravy train when the time comes.
She appears to have no interests other than her own power / career.
Interestingly the election commission is investigating the Brexit party over payments made via pay pal.
The other main parties use the same system as well and are being left alone.
Yet another attempt by the government to silence the leave wanting majority.
It really doesn't look good when public bodies show such blatant biases.
Let's see how else they can try and fix the vote this time.
Of course these elections don't count, are irrelevant, have been interfered by the russians, miscounted or all the people who voted leave are to thick to have the right to vote.
Lets see how many of the remainers mention those reasons after the elections!

cbe

Postby cbe » Tue May 21, 2019 12:39 pm

The Electoral Commission (and look into the background of those 'notable' people) are looking ONLY at the Brexit Party and its finances - strange. What really amused me was that the complainant, on whose behalf they are acting, was that paragon of virtue - Gordon McBroon

I rest my case.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue May 21, 2019 3:10 pm

I appreciate the useful comments of others, some of whom are much better informed than myself on the details and the past (often dubious) activities of the politicians. It is difficult to trace threads amongst all the squabbling which has been going on, because the picture continually changes!

I did read up a bit about the investigation into the Brexit party's sources of finances - the arguments seemed very thin, all the main parties could have accusations laid against them since the rules are complex and from time to time all the parties have made mistakes and got into trouble. There seems to be a considerable drive to "get" Farage by whatever means or dubious allegation - I doubt whether any great wrongdoing will be turned up.

Amber Rudd, I agree, has proved a very disappointing, self-seeking politician, does not even make a pretence of showing her face in her local constituency and defending their concerns. She is likely to move on to a safer seat before the next general election - no loss of course.

Yes, it's true I shouldn't give up! But what makes a difference? Maybe it's time to follow the French and set up the barricades, burn a few buses .. I will be voting on Thursday, not because ultimately that election has much real relevance but because the Tories are very fearful of it and the strength of public opinion which it will most certainly demonstrate. A massive swing to the Brexit party will cause one helluva shock amongst those remote politicians who still have not received the message delivered in the referendum.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”