Moving to St Leonards

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
bridgetwolunches

Re: Moving to St Leonards

Postby bridgetwolunches » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:57 pm

I moved here because I'd heard it was a place for outsiders but have learnt the opposite is the case, it is full of insiders, cliquey. If you fit in with the prevailing cliques and that's what you like then it's probably for you but as a place where you meet interesting people doing interesting things with interesting non conformist ideas it's not.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Can't entirely agree with that.
The old town may be a little cliquey, among the close-knit group of traders but elsewhere people are much more cosmopolitan and do their own thing, enjoying a holiday or engaging in various activities. Perhaps because there is a mosaic of different people all over Hastings and the south east in general there is no shared background experience or a readily identifiable mentality.
Whereas in the north west of the country people have much more in common and are so typically, very friendly, cheerful and full-on chatty at the drop of a hat, often making the first move if they see you are a stranger and asking if you are alright.
It is true that the locals hereabouts are not always inclined to make the first move but if you approach them with a friendly remark or two they will soon warm to you and open up.
Wherever you are you just have to keep an open mind and ignore the odd ones who may have problems of their own. :)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 am

I have to agree with Richard on this one, all in all we're a pretty friendly town. Where have you gained such experiences Bridget?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:30 am

I agree with the above - from the start I found people in Hastings to be very varied, coming from all different directions, pretty friendly. In Eastbourne they largely seem to be aged, drinking peppermint tea and dressed in twinsets and pearls. In Brighton they are a younger crowd, somewhat wealthier and dashing around - "London by the Sea". Hastings is much more mixed, some pubs in the Old Town are just like Old England used to be with oldies in baggy flannels and tweeds, but just down the road some insalubrious drinking holes where they sport leather jackets and bones through their noses, whilst listening to deafening rock bands ..

This is not to be taken too seriously of course, but the point is that there seem to be a lot of different "cultures" in Hastings, groups or "cliques" to suit everyone and the strange thing about Hastings is that they seem to get along together and there isn't much friction.

Not all the different "sets" in Hastings are very visible, you have to look for them, ask around and find people you feel comfortable with. Takes a little time maybe.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:37 am

Well said Mr Hermit. Perhaps Bridget just hasn't found her niche yet. Looking in the wrong place?

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”