Brexit and the current position

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
seahermit

Re: Brexit and the current position

Postby seahermit » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:22 pm

It's an extraordinary situation, you could hardly make it up.

An election may be inevitable eventually, but both major parties dread it because they know there will be devestation to their support. Which means that thankfully Labour probably cannot get into power, not winning overall seats in the Commons anyway.

But what will happen? Somebody up above those clouds knows.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:12 am

Johnson thinks he CAN secure some sort of deal (according to the papers anyway) and the Speaker thinks he can have a hand in choosing his successor. A lot of parliamentary games being played out - it's all starting to get a bit depressing.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 am

I'd rather see another referendum before anything else is decided by parliament - at least that way the people get to decide once and for all.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 pm

At least some good is coming out of this situation.

Rudd is running away from her slim majority of 346 and luckily for the voters of the town, giving the possibility of Hastings electing its second Labour MP. Heaven knows why an area that has been so economically deprived for many years could have maintained Ken Warren and before him the useless Neil Cooper Key as MPs is beyond comprehension. Cooper Key's wiki entry indicates nothing of interest that he did in his 25 years for the town other than that he was linked to various bits of the aristocracy.

Robert Tressell would be appalled that it took the voters 90 years after he left the town, for them to choose their first Labour MP.

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Richard, another referendum is the last thing that should happen. If there must be another referendum it should be some years down the line, once the result of the other one has been enacted and a few years experience will show whether it was a good idea or not.

Another referendum is the EU way - keep voting until you get the answer 'right'. We are supposed to be a democracy.

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 pm

I was absolutely horrified all those years ago when Hastings voted for a Labour MP. Was it Michael Foster? The decline of Hastings started then.

Equally Brighton is a blot on the political landscape of Sussex. How the hell that place elected Labour and Greens is beyond me.
Actually its not, the answer is the thousands of looney left students. They are only transitory residents of Sussex and should not be able to change the political landscape of our county, they should only be eligible to vote in their home constituency.

Just one more rant. If we were to have another referendum on the EU only those that were on the Electoral role in June 2016 should be allowed to vote. Not sure how those who have passed away could manage that though!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:35 am

Further to what you say Nothants I have always been bemused when Remainers say that Leavers have 'stolen the future' of the young people. First of all I believe that all of my grandchildren voted to Leave - without exception. I would also add who has more idea of which way to vote, those who knew life before the EU and care greatly about the future for their children and grandchildren or those in their late teens who have known nothing of life when we were self-governing?

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:11 pm

In 1982, Greenland, the largest island in the world, voted to leave the Union, but it took until 1985 until negotiations were completed, following more than 100 meetings with EU officials, mainly on policies regarding fisheries agreements, that a fisheries deal was eventually struck.
It was always going to be an immense job for us in the U.K. to achieve a 'deal' and it may take many months or years more before we find a valid situation.
Using the law to make 'no deal' illegal will not solve the problem with short-term extensions and in fact the law has no bearing on whether it takes a month or several years to eventually negotiate a deal, assuming the EU will allow the process to drag on for ever and a day.

cbe

Postby cbe » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am

This is obviously a rhetorical question but I wonder why the MSM never ask our more prominent Remainers to explain why they think the EU will give us a 'good' deal when the EU know that most of our MPs are on their side? I add this photo without the need for further comment.
Attachments
DG.PNG

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Grieve, QC., (remainer) has been instrumental in making a number of amendments handing government control over to Parliament, rather than Conservatives alone, to have the last say.
In December 2017, he tabled an amendment (Amendment 7) to the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill requiring any Brexit deal to be enacted by statute, rather than implemented by government order. The amendment was opposed by the government but was passed in Parliament.
Grieve's amendment in December 2018 meant that Parliament would replace the Government in deciding the outcome of Brexit.
The Labour 'Benn-Burt' Bill succeeded in passing into law to block a no-deal Brexit, under the terms of the bill, Mr Johnson must request an extension to Brexit negotiations to the end of January next year, unless he can secure a deal or parliamentary approval for no-deal by 19 October, Grieve has been credited as a contributor.

All somewhat tiresome and not entirely what we expected but 'call me Dave' Cameron finally made me laugh yesterday when he said that Boris risked an outcome he didn't believe in to further his political career.
The hypocrite could not see that he had done exactly the same thing himself!

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”